Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 Honda Civic EX Turbo shakes randomly at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Unhappy 95 Honda Civic EX Turbo shakes randomly at highway speeds

Ok, so I'm turning to you guys in hopes that I will get at least ONE person who says "This totally happened to me, and here's what the problem is" because I've gone to multiple shops, fixed multiple parts, and am STILL having this issue.

First of all, please forgive me but I'm new here so if I go about this the wrong way I'm really sorry!

Here's the issue: I have a 95 Honda Civic EX Turbo and about a month ago I noticed my steering wheel would lightly shake at highway speeds every now and then. I assumed it was probably something simple like a wheel balancing issue as it just started and it wasn't that bad.

Got my wheels balanced and it actually made it WORSE.

I took it to a specialty shop that said "looks like you need a camber kit" so they referred me to another shop.

Went to THAT shop and they said there was some pretty bad damage and replaced the outer tie end rod, CV driveshaft (RF), replaced some missing parts for my calipers, aligned my wheels and replaced my axle shaft assembly. They didn't have performance brakes/rotors so I had to go to yet another shop.

The next shop I took it to had to order new rotors for me (I had to downgrade from Tenzo-R big brake upgrade to StopTech cross drilled/slotted) and replaced my brake pads. My rotors were warped and I thought my calipers could possibly be sticking and causing the shaking? Everything was replaced... it still shakes at highway speeds after all of this.

The fact it shakes pretty bad around 60 while accelerating harder on the highway makes me think... could it possibly be a motor mount? But that would be a more consistent shaking right? As in the past when I needed a new motor mount it shook BAD and was constant. My shaking is above 60MPH and typically shakes for about 5 seconds, is smooth for 5 seconds, shakes for 5 seconds, smooth 5 seconds, etc. It shakes HARDER as I go faster but has that same kind of rhythm.

This has stumped multiple mechanics from several shops. I am dumping all my money into special ordering high quality parts for my car and nothing is helping.

If ANY of you have any ideas or if you know for a fact what this could be please voice what you have to say. I appreciate all of you who take the time to read my post no matter what. If any of you need more information please let me know and I'm more than happy to give more details if you think that will help narrow down some possible problems.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by r3yalsrats; 03-22-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by r3yalsrats
Got my wheels balanced and it actually made it WORSE.
That's an interesting clue. Perhaps they are in worse balance now because it was done wrong.

Does it continue to shake if you get up to speed, then drop into neutral and just roll?

Also try driving very slowly on a nice flat surface. Hold the steering wheel loosely. Any sort of "once around" side to side action means that a wheel is bent or a tire is not round.

You should also try rotating the tires front to back and see if anything changes.