Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 honda civic dx no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Default 97 honda civic dx no start

Helping out a lady from church, someone else has sprayed starter fluid in to air intake to see if they could get the engine to run. I am told that they could not get anything to fire up.
I have good fuel pressure at the end of the fuel rail when I turn out the bolt that holds the fuel line to the fuel rail.
I grounded the spark plug wire to a known ground and had a great spark, when I pulled the plugs, they had a gap of over 80. I got new plugs and gapped them at 40. I then tried to start the vehicle and it seemed to run for about 2 revolutions and then died. When I turned the ignition key to start it again the engine cranked over like the cylinder head wasn't even on the engine. It turned over really easy and fast, but wouldn't start again. I thought that the timing belt had broken, so I took the cover off and the timing belt is still on the gears.
My next step will be to check for cylinder compression.
It looks like there is a new distributor on the engine, I double checked the wires to make sure they are in the correct firing order.
I'll let you know what the compression test turns up.