Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CV Boot Replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Angry Admin
Default CV Boot Replacement???

How would i go about replacing the outer cv boot on my 1997 ex manual transmission?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: CV Boot Replacement???

While it is possible to replace the CV boot, most people seem to opt for replacing the entire axle. Many auto parts stores offer relatively inexpensive rebuilt and new axles. For example, a few years ago, I purchased my replacement axles from AutoZone for about $85 each.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Angry Admin

I know about the possibility of replacing the axle, but i have not heard the typical knocking sound and there is still grease inside the boot, so i feel i dont really need to replace the axle, because there has most likely been little to no damage to the actual joint.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The service manual you downloaded describes CV boot replacement. You need to remove the axle.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 PM

u need to remove the axle to replace the boot. with the time and hassel to replace just the boot, u'll end up wishing u would have just bought the axle. i've been there, done that, twice. replaced the axles in my car due to torn boots, was easy and fast. i replaced a boot on my friends civic, it was a pain and not worth the time and mess. was faster to replace 2 axles than do one boot..

Old 03-23-2008, 02:12 PM
HCF Member

Once the boot on an axle breaks, dirt and road crap gets into the universal joints. If you catch it early, you can clean out the axle and much damage will not be done. If you don't catch it early, then the joint will probably damaged. You can replace the boot, but most likely that joint will wear out eventually and you will have to replace the axle anyway. If you hear a knocking sound, the joint is probably done and replacing the boot probably won't fix anything.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The outer joint is not intended to be taken apart in the field. To replace the outer boot you must undo the inner boot and take the inner joint apart. Take off the snap ring and remove the center piece of the inner joint from the axle. If you have a rubber vibration damper on the axle it has to come off too. Then you slide the outer boot all the way up the axle and off the inner end, and after cleaning and regreasing the outer joint, slide a new outer boot on and reassemble the inner joint.

There used to be zip-on boots that can be installed with the axle still in the car, I've never used one though.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Angry Admin

Thank you for all of the responses and the quick response times, i believe i will take your advice and replace the entire axle because i would rather have a quick and easy fix rather than a long difficult fix because i am relatively new at this.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 AM
HCF Member

Another thing to remember - the cv half shafts usually come with a LIFETIME warranty, so the next time the boot goes bad you will get a new axle for free.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:32 AM
HCF Member

the snap on/zip up boots suck, def not worth it... replacing cv boots isnt that hard, i've replaced 2 on my civic. but yeah i will agree replacing the axle is much easier... you can get them pretty cheap, esp if you give them your old ones.

Quick Reply: CV Boot Replacement???