HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   D16z6 misfire? Help me get this thing running! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/d16z6-misfire-help-me-get-thing-running-72515/)

V8DIET 12-31-2008 11:20 AM

D16z6 misfire? Help me get this thing running!

Ok I got a 92 civic dx with a z6 swap. I bought it off this kid and its running bad, like misfiring and it's idiling high. I look at the timing belt and is seems loose so I figure the tensioner is bad and maybe made it skip a tooth. So I replace the plugs and wires and do a timing belt and water pump and tensioner. Also The car was running off a p06 ecu and I swapped a p28 on it. Well I go to start the car and it's running even more rough than before. Low RPM misfire chuggle barley running. Check the timing and it's good, check the wires and they are correct. So i figure i'll try putting the p06 back in it, i do and it runs high rough idle with a surge around 2500-3500 RPM. What could be wrong with this thing? I tried getting codes and it dosent seem to want to work. Thanks in advance for the help.

RonJ 12-31-2008 11:33 AM

Have you checked the distributor cap and rotor?

What are the cylinder compressions?

Is the fuel pressure good?

******Was the CEL bulb removed or disconnected?

V8DIET 12-31-2008 08:58 PM

Yep, I checked the rotor and cap, both good. Newer looking so I don't think thats an issue. I know im getting fuel because i pulled the plugs after starting it and letting it run for a few seconds and the plugs were wet with fuel. I'll compression test tomorrow and let you know the readings. The CEL bulb works because it passes the bulb check with key on and it flashes when the car is running due to the severe misfire.

RonJ 12-31-2008 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by V8DIET (Post 613344)
...The CEL bulb works because it passes the bulb check with key on and it flashes when the car is running due to the severe misfire.

Please give more information. OBDII ECUs but not OBDI ECUs throw misfire CEL codes. For OBDII Civics (e.g. 6th generation), a blinking CEL indicates misfiring severe enough to damage/destroy the catalytic converter. The stock Z6 engine came with an OBDI ECU, which would not recognize engine misfiring. Is the p28 ECU OBDII? If it is OBDI, then the blinking CEL is very puzzling. It might possibly be indicating a CEL code (rather than indicating misfire) due to a short circuit in the CEL service connector circuit.

V8DIET 01-01-2009 04:53 AM

Ah, I'm not sure, I assumed all p28's were obd1. How do you tell if it's obd1 or 2?

RonJ 01-01-2009 07:07 AM

There was apparently an OBDII p28 ECU made for the Del Sol:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f99/...28-ecu-244130/

V8DIET 01-01-2009 07:21 AM

Haha I was looking around and I read that exact thread like an hour ago. I think the connectors are different though but again i'm not sure. There is no conversion harness on my car and the ecu plugs right in so I think it's obd1. I'm going to go compression test it right now. This kids story is that it was running good up untill a few months ago, it has had the swap in it for almost a year and it was fine. Then he said it started running rough and misfiring and he parked it and just started doing body work to it untill he got sick of it and wanted to sell the car. If worse come to worse I could just put a new motor in it for like 200 bucks but I have the suspision that it's maybe some electrical issue. I'll be back in a bit with those compression test readings.

RonJ 01-01-2009 07:30 AM

So when the engine is running, you say that the CEL is blinking. Does the blinking seem to be in the form of a code? Or is it just a steady continuous blink?

What happens when you jumper wire the service connector? Does the CEL stay ON steady, does it blink, or is it OFF?

V8DIET 01-01-2009 09:07 AM

It seems to be a steady blink but i don't let the car run long enough to tell for sure, I'm afraid it'll hurt the motor the way its running. But when I jumper it, it comes on with key on but then goes off and does nothing.

RonJ 01-01-2009 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by V8DIET (Post 613376)
...But when I jumper it, it comes on with key on but then goes off and does nothing.

For this test, did you turn the ignition key to ON(II) with the connector jumped?

Does the same thing happen without the service connector jumped when you turn the ignition key to ON(II)?

This indicates CEL code 0, which is a problem with either the ECU or the associated service connector circuitry (see Chapter 11 of the 92-95 Civic service manual at link in my signature).