HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   D16Z6 not starting help!!!! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/d16z6-not-starting-help-63699/)

extreme 04-07-2008 04:35 PM

D16Z6 not starting help!!!!

hi guys ive just put my civic back together and it does not start. ill tell you what ive done to this engine

its a D16Z6
its got eagle rods
cant remember what pistons but they are low comps
a turbo kit
walbro fuel pump
and a blox fmu
six puck clutch

it used to run quite well untill the head gasket went
then the piston rings
and also the clutch was useless

ive done the timing to what my haynes manual says so that should be correct
the distibutor looks in the right place
i have compression (the head has been refaced and a cometic gasket was used)
the car sometimes fires possibly on one cylinder then nothing so i thought that i might have the distirbutor 180 degrees out so i swapped the leads round and it fires up runs quite well but im sure its firing on the exhaust cos it doesnt rev up and its quite loud.

any help would be great as i have a week to move the car.

mk378 04-07-2008 05:56 PM

RE: D16Z6 not starting help!!!!

I don't think it will run at all if you're 180 degrees off but otherwise properly timed. Double check the timing marks and make sure the rotor points at wire #1 when the "UP" is up on the cam pulley. Put a timing light on it.

RonJ 04-07-2008 06:39 PM

Have you checked for spark at all four plugs or measured the fuel pressure? Is the ground wire on the thermostat housing connected?

extreme 04-08-2008 05:41 AM

i have check the timing and that is ok. i have checked the distributor and thats ok but there is a small oil leak coming from it. i havent checked for a spark cos it fires up when i switch the leads round 180 degrees (fires on exhaust). i havent checked for fuel pessure cos the fuel pump does prime and then goes off and you can smell the fuel. i have bought a new rotor arm distributor cap and ht leads. which i should have in a couple of days. anything else i should check for? i will check the gound wire tomorrow.

RonJ 04-08-2008 06:20 AM

As you mentioned earlier, the engine may only be firing on one cylinder. Therefore, you should check for spark at each of the four plugs. Have you inspected the distributor cap and rotor, as well as the coil and igniter unit? Is the CEL ON?

mk378 04-08-2008 09:35 AM

I was intrigued by this concept of "firing on the exhaust" so I went out to my car and switched the wires around 180 degrees. Turn the key, and as I expected, it's dead as a doornail. Makes kind of a low thumping noise once in a while like it's backfiring thru the exhaust weaky, but it's certainly not going to start. How could it start? With the valves open there's no way for any fire to build pressure to push the piston down.

You have a major timing issue. Go thru the whole chain and trust no one. Don't trust the marks on the external crank pulley, put a rod into the #1 spark plug hole to feel when the piston is at top. Did you ever take the pulley off of the camshaft? The keying pin may not be in the right place. Take the dizzy off. When at TDC the slot in the end of the cam that drives the dizzy should be straight up and down (relative to the head, the engine is tilted slightly when installed in the car). I think the narrow side should be towards the front of the car at TDC1 but not absolutely sure of that.

Also once you identify which terminal is #1, the wires connect 1-3-4-2 going clockwise around the distributor looking at the top of the cap.

extreme 04-08-2008 03:33 PM

the cel comes on then goes off like it should. i will re-check the timing again just to be sure. i already have put a rod in number 1 and my timing marks on that pully are correct. also i never removed the camshaft pully.

extreme 04-12-2008 07:07 AM

ive check the timing the earth leads. ive replaced the ht leads cap rotor arm and coil but it still wont run with the firing order 1-3-4-2. but it kinda runs with the firing order 4-2-1-3 just doesnt rev up very well. i need it running tomorrow please help

RonJ 04-12-2008 07:27 AM

It really sounds like the distributor is 180 degrees out of phase. Is it possible to install the rotor out of phase? Also, are your camshaft gear and crankshaft pulley perfectly synchronized at TDC?

extreme 04-12-2008 03:54 PM

the rotor only fits one way. yes my timing is correct. im gonna get a compression tester just to make sure. and i gonna play with the advance and retard on the distributor