Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

damn idle contol valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:41 PM
HCF Member
Default damn idle contol valve

ok i got a CEL while at a stop light and right away i knew what it was. i havent checked that CEL but its happend before ..and i was wondering how much would it be it replace the idle control valve ? or is cleaning it a better solution ? is there a do it youself for that ? lol

Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: damn idle contol valve

You can try to clean it with electronic cleaner they sell In Auto zone it's like 5 dollars or so it's a spray can. It will remove some of the carb deposit.

I replace mine I thought that was the problem for my stalling but it was my whole engine harness. But hey I have a new OEM IACV. My use one should be fine Since it never threw a Cel code for it I just replaced because I though that was the problem but I was wrong. It came off my 00 SI but I know it also works for SOHC. If interested let me know

Old 01-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: **Alan**
ok i got a CEL while at a stop light and right away i knew what it was. i havent checked that CEL but its happend before ..and i was wondering how much would it be it replace the idle control valve ? or is cleaning it a better solution ? is there a do it youself for that ? lol
To be safe, verify that the CEL code is the one you expect by having AutoZone pull the code or by using the method described here:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Also note that, if the code is P0505, then the IACV is only one possible cause for the problem (picture).

Old 01-05-2008, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

its probly improper adjustment because i took out the TB spacer to clean it out last night and i think i didnt adjust it right ...could this be it tho ?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, that could possibly throw a code.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

ok kool and i noticed that my gaskets fell off right when i took off the spacer i put them back inbutthat might cause a leak as well but ya im gonna take it to my mechanic first thing monday thanks buddy! i just hope it doesnt give me a hole in my pocket lol

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

Buying thr IACV sensor brand new from Honda will put a hole in your pocket. Here in Newfoundland i was quoted as the price being over $300. So now i am looking for used ones.

Civic si 00: The extra IACV you have is for a standard transmission, i'm guessing, but is it the one that connects to the intake manifold itself or to the TB?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

i can get 1 from vatozone for $150 but im gonna wait intill monday

Old 01-05-2008, 11:44 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: koots

Buying the IACV sensor brand new from Honda will put a hole in your pocket. Here in Newfoundland i was quoted as the price being over $300. So now i am looking for used ones.

Civic Si 00: The extra IACV you have is for a standard transmission, I'm guessing, but is it the one that connects to the intake manifold itself or to the TB?
Yes it's the one that connects to the Intake manifold and yes my car is 5spd. Ridiculous for 300 dollars. I live in Cali and I always order parts from a dealer In Virginia thats where I order my IACV with shipping for 152.00. They always offer better deals than my local dealers.
If interested on the IACV PM me. I take pay-pal payments also.

It looks like this........

Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

I would if i could fit it to my TB, cuz i am "blessed" with the auto tranny. Sucks to be me, i guess....

Quick Reply: damn idle contol valve