HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Disabling alarm on 96 EX Coupe w/ factory alarm & radio? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/disabling-alarm-96-ex-coupe-w-factory-alarm-radio-49322/)

BruceK 08-03-2007 06:27 PM

Disabling alarm on 96 EX Coupe w/ factory alarm & radio?

My '96 Civic EX Coupe has factory alarm (and radio and everything else).

I've always used the keyless remote & alarm system. Now I find myself wanting to disable the alarm (long story I won't go into here). I still have all the original manuals, including the security system manual. But I was stunned to find that the manual provided no way to turn off the alarm for the EX model. It does tell you how to turn on/off "valet mode" for the CX & DX models. Perhaps someone could tell me why the EX should not support "valet mode" when the CX & DX models do? Also, is there ANY way to disable the alarm in an EX short of cutting some wires or yanking some fuse?

Thanks for any help.

windcalmer 08-03-2007 06:32 PM

RE: Disabling alarm on 96 EX Coupe w/ factory alarm & radio?

I dont think we are in the habit of telling anyone how to disable any security stuff. We also dont tell people how to hotwire cars. But welcome to the forum.

s2000gtx 08-03-2007 06:44 PM

^ +1 if u really want to disable it tke it to the dealership and let them do it . if we tell u how to do it we might wake up tomorrow and see u on the 7 o clock news

BruceK 08-04-2007 09:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if my question was perceived negatively. I'm a newbie here after all.

I'm not looking for a way to disable the alarm while it's going off, but for a way I can turn it off without having to have someone rip it out. So please ignore the "disable" term and replace it with "valet mode". I think it's reasonable to ask how I canenable a "valet mode" on my civic with a Honda factory alarm.

So I'm wondering why the honda security system cannot be put into"valet mode" for my EX but it can for the DX & CX models of the 96 civic.
I've been having trouble with my alarm going off randomly every now and then soI thought putting it into "valet mode" could effectively solve my problem without having to pay someone to rip the system out.

Is it supposed to be a *feature* to not have "valet mode"? If not, I wonder why the CX & DX have the "valet mode" feature but my EX doesn't? (The honda security system manual lists CX & DX only for "valet mode" and sure enough the instructions don't work for my EX). It simply seems as if the EX model cannot be put into "valet mode" at all and I'm wondering why or if I'm missing something.

I think that this is a reasonable question and not in any way nefarious, but perhaps I'm naive.
Thanks for any help.

BruceK 08-04-2007 09:15 AM

In fact, to avoid further confusion I will repost my question with a new title, since I agree the title I chose earlier was quite unfortunate...