Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Enginer rough when weather is cold and wet

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:45 PM
HCF Member
Default Enginer rough when weather is cold and wet

Hi everyone,

I just had a quick question. I have a '93 DX Sedan with 171K miles on it. The engine is great and I get 44mpg (albeit I drive 60+mph on the freeway) and I don't have any problems with it.

Just a minor thing I noticed today was that the engine started and sounded like there was some moisture inside. You know that kind of puffing noise... again, it was very minor and it went away in a few seconds. The weather was extremely cold and it had been raining and I have seen this kind of behavior in my '89 Integra before (only when it's cold and wet).

I'm sure since this is an old car, the clearance on the engine parts isn't as tight as it used to be. I just wanted to see what other people thought and would love to know what common parts wear out and cause this symptom?

I'd like to refresh any component that may need replacing but I'd like to have a better idea what those may be.

Thanks!
jbum

Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Misfire in wet weather is often caused by bad plug wires.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM
HCF Member

Another question very much related to this...

When conditions are cold (and possibly damp/wet), the engine sounds harsher and raspier. On warm days, the engine sounds muffled and smooth, as if things are tight as they should be. I don't think it's just in my head.

When cold, the car sounds like it's a '93 model with 180K miles on it. On warm days, it sounds smooth and it's in great condition. Just to be clear, it doesn't sound like the car is broken down or anything. Just raspy and noisy.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the difference in how the engine itself runs or an indication that something is rattling or loose in cold weather? More detailed information would help.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Is the difference in how the engine itself runs or an indication that something is rattling or loose in cold weather? More detailed information would help.
I think the sound makes me think the engine runs better when it's smoother sounding but I'm pretty sure there is no difference.

When I'm driving on the freeway (5th gear), there is no real difference in sound either. It's in 1/2/3 gears where I feel the sound is raspier... maybe until it fully warms up. Maybe things like insulation, etc. all expand and help muffle the sound when warm/hot. Just a guess.

There is no rattling... just a harsher engine noise.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When did you last replace the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Start by inspecting them. Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing gun?

Have you cleaned the FITV and IACV? See links in my signature.

Have you tried a Seafoam treatment? See forum DIY section for details.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
When did you last replace the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Start by inspecting them. Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing gun?

Have you cleaned the FITV and IACV? See links in my signature.

Have you tried a Seafoam treatment? See forum DIY section for details.
All good suggestions, thanks,

I just replaced the plugs. Cap/rotor I replaced 15k miles ago. Wires were good when I checked them during the plugs replacement (by measuring the resistance from end to end). The wires were clean too.

I checked the timing maybe 30k miles back so I'll check it out again. I'll check out the fitv/iacv.

Is there a better way for a engine cleaning than seafoam? it sounds messy for the environment... sorry i'm partial to my environment.

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Unfortunately, cleaning the FITV and IACV (or injectors and IM with Seafoam) involves the use of organic solvents. You could consider just replacing the parts with new ones, but this will be much more expensive and possibly no better for the environment. You're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think cleaning old parts is the best option all the way around.