Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

doing my own clutch..hlp plz...

Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 PM
HCF Member
Default doing my own clutch..hlp plz...

EK 1997 Ex
ive done my own passenger side axle before. i know i can get that far. im wondering now, is it as easy as just taking off the cover (the one with a lot of bolts [think 12]) and just taking out the old one and putting in the new one?? just give me any input that u guys think will help. and about aligning the clutch, easy??? thanks...

Old 09-21-2007, 05:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: doing my own clutch..hlp plz...

you remove the starter, the axle, the battery, the battery holder, your air intake, your shifter rods... I think thats about it... Then you remove NOT THE 12 BOLTS but I think 5 big bolts (17mm I believe) holding the transfercase to the engine... don't forget to remove then engine mounts holding the tranny up there.

Drop the tranny (after pushing it left, to clear a pin that holds it there), remove the clutch from the flywheel, remove the flywheel, have it resurfaced, put it back with a new clutch. And then put everything back together!!

Hey it looks pretty easy... I'm doing it to my car. The plan was to have it all back together TODAY but **** the clutch I bought doesnt FIT I'm so frustrated... I had it for 30$ from a guy on classified... Anyway.

BTW I'm thinking about it now my car is a 91 LOL not a 97 but I'm sure its similar.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:37 PM

ok, i have a 98 cx. there are a few more then 5 bolts.i think9. and you have to disconect the hydro clutch hose, so you will have to eventually blead that. and take off the flywheel instpection plate. make sure you have a set of 12 point sockets. i think 10 mill and 17 mill are the two sizes you need....i think. a friends help would be nice too. and plan on a few hours if its your first time. it is defintally something you can do though. the haynes manual has a perfect set of step by step instructions to follow with all the torques and everything. good luck and have fun.. you will learn alot

Old 09-21-2007, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

for me it was a 10 and 17 12 points sockets

but DONT use 12 points sockets for the other bolts, it's not as strong and you mights strip them.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 PM
HCF Member

good deal! i just did mine the other day after breaking one of the springs on the clutch disk itself... theres 4 on the stock one. Yup, jammed it right up into my pressure plate. Wouldnt disengage the clutch all the way. Lol, i still won though! thats all that matters, i was racing my friends talon at the local track. Only run i got in...[:@]

Be careful with this project. Its very doable. ive done it 2 times now... If your going to reuse the axle, dont take it all the way off the hub. unless that 32mm bolt i think is easy for you.

Also, if your going to just take the tranny out like i did the 2nd time... then REALLY be careful. Theres a bolt in the back my the mount.. you have to look up in there. In the book it shows you 3... however, theres 4 in the same spot. We tried prying mine apart with that bolt still in.. bad move.

Thats really all the advice i have... oh and drain your tranny fluid or itll come out with the axle.

GL man, let us know if you need anymore help.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:03 AM
HCF Member

It actually comes out VERY easily. I had 2 bolts in the back... And hey, on my clutch disc, THREE springs where missing xD

Old 09-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't disconnect the hydraulic hose, instead unbolt the slave cylinder and set it aside. Make sure that no one presses the clutch pedal while it is like that or you will have a mess.

It's really helpful to have a way to support the engine and tranny from above. If you support the engine from below, use a big block of wood on the jack so the oil pan doesn't get dented.

You don't have to do anything with the left axle except pop it out of the transmission, it will come free when you move the transmission to the right to remove it. The right axle you just need to take the lower ball joint loose and swing the wheel out to get the axle out of the transmission before starting to remove the tranny.