Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dont Know What To Do - Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Default Dont Know What To Do - Please Help!!

I have seen quite a few posts on here about how the speedometers in these cars like to mess up and read wrong...I have had the same problem in which mine always read 5 mph too fast. I went to the salvage yard yesterday and got another instrument cluster, plus the dash clocl because mine never worked since I have had the car. My speedometer still reads around 5 mph too fast, but yet the tach and all other controls (fuel & temp) seem way more accurate now than with the old cluster. What do you guys think I should do...buy a speed sensor for it or call the dealer? The car is a '93 EX with 241,000 miles on it and has brand new tires with factory specs. As to the clock, Mine had this little burnt spot right on the right lower corner, like something had burnt out of it, and all the clocks I pulled from the other Civics in the yard were in the same condition. Is this something known to happen? Do I need to go to the dealer to buy a new clock? Thanks for any help you guys can provide...I do not know what to do about these 2 issues.

P.S. In my old cluster, I tried to move the speedometer hand to where it should have read while moving down the road and I couldnt get the hand to adjust to where I needed it to be....everytime I would let it go it would go back to reading 5 mph too fast.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Dont Know What To Do - Please Help!!

There really is only one fix that's to adjust your tire size to mathc the speedo, if you're speedo ready faster that the acrual speed, then you should go with the larger diameter tire.
like from a 185/60/14 to a 185.65.14 or even 185 70..

but my advise is to just live with it.
________
Silver surfer review

Last edited by chriskatana; 03-10-2011 at 03:52 PM.