Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

door adjustment trouble..

Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Default door adjustment trouble..

i have a 90 civic hatch and the door alignment is off a bit. it sits where it is supposed to, but the top right corner (looking at it from the outside) of the driver door sticks out a bit and it causes water to get in and not to mention that it looks like crap! on the door frame there is a plastic piece that the 2 pins in the top of the door slide into. do i adjust that? this has been bothering me for a while now and any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

so the top window post frame on the door is out to far.... SIMPLE FIX, roll the window down, brace the door AND PULL.
the top frame over time bends out alittle from every time you close the door. it happens to every vehicle with a top window frame!
dont worry about bending it to far. that frame is pretty strong and if you bend it to far/tight then closing the door afew times should push it back to normal.

Name:  96doorpanel-21.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  83.7 KB

Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 PM

i have to admit, i was skeptikal at first.. (the gripping pic and all) but what the hell. i tried it and it fixed my problem so thank you very much!!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL everyone is skeptikal. but it really works. people thing there hinges are bad when its not since the rest of the door lines up perfectly.

my dad taught me that with my old truck that had wind noise. i was just like you where... im like WTF are you doing pops.... but gave it a drive and the wind noise was gone.LOL
ive had a few friends getting ready to go to a mechanic to have them adjust the doors to solve this problem. and thats about 50bucks since its hourly labor which the mechanic sure as hell isnt going to tell you thats all they did. they going to say... thanks come again (SUCKA)

Old 12-23-2009, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

thanks addiction2bass, now my window wont close all the way up.

LOL
and about the wind noise... do you think its hard (have you done it?) switching out the rubber that makes the seal between the window itself and the frame? (the rubber thing)
it seems like the previous owner got jacked, and since it sticks out it makes noise when in the freeway.

(sorry didnt wanna start another thread)

Old 12-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

your window wont close all the way up?????
ive never had that issue before from pulling on the door frame. guess ya bent it to much or your seals are just to dry and its just enough friction to stop it. id put some lube on the window track seals and try that if not just brace the outter edge the opposite way.

but to swap out the rubber seal which one you walken about? i know the outter lower sweep is a PITA to swap out!
but if your talking about the seal that goes from one side of the window then up and over and back down the window track, then that ones not hard. simply roll the window down spray some lube inside the window tracks, roll the window back up then down and simply pull the weatherstrip seal down from the top and pull it out from the side tracks and pull it up, to put the new one in lube the metal track and the rubber seal on the backside and the inside where the window rides and just slide it back in the tracks.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

haha i was just teasing you.
i didnt have that problem.

yeah the one on top. the part that would get damaged if you stuck a screw driver in there or something and tried to force the window down. it makes water go in a little when i use the car wash... haha but im not sure if it would be hard 2 sawp out myself

Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ok
no not hard at all to swap out the window track seal.