Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ef piston problem HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM
HCF Member
Default ef piston problem HELP!

hey guys...

so i no a lil bout my ef but all the solutions iv done made it run smoothr but i still hav a prob

so my 4 piston aint fireing n i get lik a cranking noise when i accelerate
iv changed all the sparkplug wires n plugs to nothn
so then i go more into it i check compression reads 133 it should fire at that
so i figure maybe the valves are to tight so i doo a value job nothn made it run smoothr but still so i by a new distributor cap n roter nothn so i get a different distributor n i put my new cap n rotor on it nothn

over all it runs smoothr but it starts nocking at 3 n the 4th piston isnt firing if u guys no what i can do next let me no yea

Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What compression readings did you measure at each of the cylinders? Was cylinder 4 by far the lowest compression?

Does the plug for cylinder 4 have bright blue spark?

Is fuel injector 4 working?

Is the engine burning oil and/or coolant?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

iight so its a d15

its not really burning oil but it does have its moments accelerating off 1st gear at times
its a dpfi the compression on the rest of the pist. are reading 145's so the compression off the 4th isnt bad at all rather good i jus did an oil change actually n the nocking kinda went away i here it at 3 1/2 rpms but the 4th piston still isnt giving its been running lik this for bout 6 months the spark when i disconnect the spark plug cable from the distributor cap for 4th cylinder it sparks blueish yea lik if its a normal spark n it shocked me to when i check it urlyer i feel lik its firing its just when i tak the cables off any other of the cylinder wholes the engine wants to giv out but on the 4th jus acts normal it sucks

Old 12-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the CEL ON?

Have you checked fuel injector 4?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 AM
HCF Member

it only has two injectors its not a throttle body i wish i had a mpfi but nah its only a dpfi/carb.

not sure bout the cell tho how do i no if thats on

Old 12-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You may have a bad plug or wire in #4. New parts aren't automatically good. If you still have your old wires put one of them on (ideally not the old #4). Take the plug out and swap it with one of the other ones. Another thing that can happen is a plug gets a chunk of carbon in the gap and becomes (temporarily) dead.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

nah i tryd that to man ...cuz i got a 92 hatch it gives go on 4th for that one so i swapd plugs n they give go still for the 4th on my 92 hatch but nothn on my ef

iv done
-values
-new distributor, cap, rotor
-timing
-spark plugs
-spark wires
-oil change
its a headack cuz lik the compression is really good man so its not a mechanical problem n i did evrthing i could for an electrical problem the car runs smooth it does but i end up changing spark plugs for 1-3 cylinders on a 2week bases cuz they burn up it doesnt smoke at times it does going off 1st the nocking kinda went away after the oil change but 4th isnt poping

jus keep throwing ideas at me there has to be somthing iv missd
thanxs for the help so far tho

Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Fuel injector 4? Is it working?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 PM
HCF Member

i dont hav a injector 4 i only hav 2 for me to have 4 injectors going id hav to hav a mpfi which allows evry piston to have a injector but im running on a dpfi the injectors are attachd to a type of carb.it divids the gas to each cylinder dual programd fuel injection

but now that u mention it maybe my intake manifold is bad

Old 12-20-2008, 11:27 PM
HCF Member

maybe im wrong how do i check injector 4 cuz im not sure if its working or not

Quick Reply: ef piston problem HELP!