HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Energy Suspension Torque mount inserts (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/energy-suspension-torque-mount-inserts-53302/)

RenegadeCivic 10-06-2007 10:59 AM

Energy Suspension Torque mount inserts

So, to repair my torque mounts, I bought the inserts, however I was only able to get the front 2 in. Has anyone else done this... I can't break the rear one loose... the bolt that goes through the mount is so tight, I put all my weight into it with a cheater... and nothing (I'm 325lbs...)... I even hit it with an impact wrench... any hints?

mxs 10-06-2007 02:21 PM

RE: Energy Suspension Torque mount inserts

Put a floor jack under the car and jack up the engine by the oil pan, just a little bit, enough to take some of the load off that mount

RenegadeCivic 10-06-2007 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs

Put a floor jack under the car and jack up the engine by the oil pan, just a little bit, enough to take some of the load off that mount
I did that... maybe not enough? There are 3 bolts that hold it to the frame... all those bolts were out... and I was just trying to unbolt it from the actual mount... I guess I can somewhat see why the engine load could cause it... but nothing would budge... maybe I didn't have enough of the load taken off?

civicexracer 10-06-2007 07:51 PM

theresthe possibility that the bolts are seized.. i'd be careful when trying to remove them, could break.

windcalmer 10-06-2007 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: RenegadeCivic

ORIGINAL: mxs

I did that... maybe not enough? There are 3 bolts that hold it to the frame... all those bolts were out... and I was just trying to unbolt it from the actual mount... I guess I can somewhat see why the engine load could cause it... but nothing would budge... maybe I didn't have enough of the load taken off?
Remember that if you go too far up you can also make them bind. I did that the first time I put in mount inserts. LOL

RenegadeCivic 10-06-2007 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

theresthe possibility that the bolts are seized.. i'd be careful when trying to remove them, could break.
Yeah, when it wouldn't budge, I hit it with some penetrating oil... waited a while.. then hit it with the impact... NOTHING. I didn't have an actual impact socket on it, so it may not have been working up to it's fullest potential... when I finally got the right impact socket... my impact decided to give out (it's like 25+ years old... high speed 3/8" impact with butterfly trigger.. hasn't been used in probably 15 years)

Remember that if you go too far up you can also make them bind. I did that the first time I put in mount inserts. LOL
I doubt it was too far... I had enough pressure on it to take the load off, but that's about it....since the front 2 didn't even really require a jack... I figured the rear one didn't need much... so it was more there for support, not lifting... BUT... I had to take the stupid brackets off in the front... [:'(] The driver's side was a PITA.

RenegadeCivic 10-06-2007 08:54 PM

Thinking about the way it's designed, I could see how I may need to jack it up a little to relieve the pressure. The front 2 are mounted inversely... in a hanging position, the rear actually sits ON the crossmember... perhaps that was my issue...

RenegadeCivic 10-15-2007 10:27 PM

Quick question... when you installed them, did you notice that idle was MUCH rougher... and things vibrated more ? I can see why... but DANG! LOL