HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Engine Chokes (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/engine-chokes-94823/)

jmacook 01-30-2013 07:23 PM

Engine Chokes

Hello Honda Experts,

I am a newbie and not much of a mechanic. I would like to get some of your expertise on my 1989 Honda Civic LX. It is a 4 door sedan, automatic. This is just my work car, it is great on gas.

Symptom: When the fuel tank is full, while driving and I come to a stop and I step on the brakes, be it hard braking or moderate the engine is fine. But if the fuel tank is about 3/4 full the engine feels like it is dying whenever I brake. Further test, I reset the odometer every time I fill up the tank and I notice that whenever the odometer has reaches 100 this symptom starts. Therefore, whenever I come to an intersection I have to apply the brakes very gentle especially when the gas tank is at 3/4 tank full.

Repairs Done So Far: replace fuel filter twice at different intervals, use fuel injector cleaners, fill up tank using super unleaded gas.

After doing the above repairs the symptom is still there. Does any of you experts have any idea what may be causing this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any expertise you have........

Joe

jmacook 01-31-2013 07:53 AM

1989 Honda Civic Gas Issue

Hello everyone I am a newbie and not much of a mechanic, more just a part replacer guy. I would like to get some of your expertise on my 1989 Honda Civic LX. It is a 4 door sedan with an automatic transmission. This is just my work car, it is great on gas.

Symptom: When the fuel tank is full, while driving and I come to a stop and I step on the brakes, be it hard braking or moderate the engine is fine. But if the gas tank is about 3/4 full the engine feels like it is dying whenever I brake. Further test, I reset the odometer every time I fill up the gas tank and after some driving and the odometer reading turns to 100 this symptom starts. Therefore, whenever I come to an intersection I have to apply the brakes very gentle especially when the gas tank is at 3/4 tank full. I have to keep the gas tank full every time in fear of sudden stop as that will cause the engine to stop idling.

Repairs Done So Far: replace fuel filter twice at different intervals (6 months in between), use fuel injector cleaners, fill up gas tank using super unleaded gas.

After doing the above repairs the symptom is still there. Does any of you experts have any idea what may be causing this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

cvcrcr99 01-31-2013 08:34 AM

Fuel pump? That is something I would I have replaced first.

jmacook 01-31-2013 08:51 AM

Hi cvcrcr99,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a try and post back. Hopefully replacing the fuel pump is not a big job. Any suggestion replacing the fuel pump?

Thanks so much for the response.

cvcrcr99 01-31-2013 10:34 AM

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the 88-91 Civics/CRXs. I only mess with 92-00 Civics (installed Walbro pumps on two cars in that range). Very simple install. If you like the smell of gas, you will be in heaven. LOL

I am sure there are a few install guides from people installing high flow pumps that you can use as a reference.

jmacook 02-01-2013 07:28 AM

Thanks again cvcrcr99 for the response. Looks like I have a weekend job to do.

jmacook 03-28-2013 05:52 PM

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to post back and give an update to my symptom that I was having. I finally got the courage to tackle this job along with the assistance from a friend to remove and replace my fail fuel pump. This whole job took a whole Saturday afternoon and some. It certainly was no easy task. After replacing the fuel pump my symptom no longer exist. I would like to give a big and special thanks for all your suggestions.

Thanks again................

Joe :):)