HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Engine Replaced D16Y7, D4 flashing, slow acceleration (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/engine-replaced-d16y7-d4-flashing-slow-acceleration-91564/)

Aaron A Archer 12-09-2011 05:42 PM

Engine Replaced D16Y7, D4 flashing, slow acceleration

Hi,
Back again. I got my 2000 D16Y7 engine replaced with a 1997 D16Y7 engine. Just got it back from the shop. Lot's of things work better, but it has really slow acceleration, my D4 gear is flashing, it shifts really hard from neutral into D4. The transmission is fine, it didn't go bad in between then and now. I have found a lot of threads on it around the web but nobody seems to have posted the solution. My speedometer hasn't gone wild or anything, but maybe that's next :eek:

My main guesses are:
CTS (Coolant Temperature Switch)
VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
Disconnected transmission connector (will look for one)
Bad thermostat or leaky hose near thermostat
TCS or PCM (I forgot what these stand for/what they are)

Other things I will try is resetting the back up fuse and checking codes, but I think the harness is OBD-II and the engine is OBD-I, so I'm not sure if the error codes will read correctly.

Has anyone ran into this before? Other things I have read are someone swapped an ECU real fast and then put it back and the same thing happened, VSS fixed it when speedo going wild, CTS changed fixed it, and maybe a shift solenoid or something (I might have another from the old engine/transmission).

WellFedHobo 12-10-2011 04:54 AM

We need to find out what the code is first. There is a 2 pin connector hanging loose near the ECU. Jumper it with a paper clip. Then turn the key to the IGN2 position (right before it would start). The CEL will start flashing in sequence if there are any CEL codes, but the D4 light will ALSO start blinking to show codes. A long flash = 10, a short flash = 1, so Long Long Long Short Short Short Short means 34.

More here: How To Retrieve Check Engine Light (CEL) Codes/List of OBD1 CEL Codes - Honda-Tech

That will tell us the code number. I'll have to dig up a list for transmission codes because they are separate from CEL codes.

Usually when it flashes, theres a problem with the linear solenoid, like the plug isn't seated all the way.

Aaron A Archer 12-10-2011 02:10 PM

I can"t find it!!!

I can't find it anywhere!!! I found it on my old 93 civic, but I can't find it in my 2000 civic!! I looked all over the place. There is no blue connector with 2 brown wires with silver stripes on them. I found 2 brown wires with kinda white stripes on them and jumped those, but it wasn't the right thing. It didn't do it. I know they are originally in a green rubber thing, but I can't find that at all!

I'm looking at pictures now and some of them are pulled out of a green plastic socket. Any ideas as to how far the might have been pulled away and tucked?

Aaron A Archer 12-10-2011 02:18 PM

I'll take a picture of the area and upload it. Does anyone have a picture of the service check connector? Thanks

Aaron A Archer 12-11-2011 12:34 PM

OK. I think my service check connector is missing. I took it to Autozone and got an error code readout. Here they are:

P0300 - Random Cylinder Misfire
P0301 - Cylinder Number 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder Number 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder Number 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder Number 4 Misfire Detected
P0141 - Secondary H0S12 (Heated Oxygen Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 2) Circuit Heater Malfunction

Here is the one I was looking for :
P1753 - Lock Up Clutch Does Not Engage - Stuck In 4th Gear

Now I think they put the wrong transmission in my car because it would be quicker and easier for 2 reasons. 1. It was connected to the new engine, and 2. the right transmission was very low in ATF (barely touched the dipstick), the one that is in there is completely full of ATF, they were going to charge me an extreme markup for any fluids but I got my own so they didn't charge me anything for that.

Either they put the wrong transmission in or the VSS on the new engine is bad, causing the limp mode, flashing/blinking D4. Now if I drive about 200 meters (as someone said on a forum), it starts flashing and runs super weak. I have to turn off the engine at stoplights and start it and then shift to D4 so I can drive normally.

Where is the Lock up clutch located?

Thanks everyone! Please help!! Is it the VSS? Is it the linear solenoid?

mk378 12-11-2011 01:33 PM

If you bought a used engine with transmission attached, you own two transmissions. You should get your original transmission back, it's yours.

Aaron A Archer 12-11-2011 01:43 PM

I know that, but I think they put the wrong transmission in, instead of leaving it out like they were supposed to and Lock up Solenoid on the old transmission is bad. If not, the VSS on the new engine is bad, producing the same effects from the "bad" transmission. But now I've heard it might be a frayed wire harness, or a #15 fuse. I'm so mad about this. If they did put the wrong transmission in I'm going to be really mad.

Aaron A Archer 12-12-2011 12:40 PM

YAY!!!! I fixed it! I took the Shift Solenoid from below the distributor and sprayed it with carb cleaner, I didn't have an air compressor but I blew it out and kept cleaning. I put it back on and the reset the ECU (I have done that many times) AND NO MORE FLASHING D4!!!!! If anyone needs a solution or fix for a flashing D4, they need to try this one first!!

Aaron A Archer 12-12-2011 12:42 PM

The other error codes are probably from the catalytic converter oxygen sensor, the previous owner bored it out. That's probably why it's throwing that code, I'm not sure if it did before the engine swap, I never read the codes.

psl95civic 12-15-2011 04:31 AM

My car was doing that I had to replace the ecu. I took it to a mechanic he didn't know what was wrong with it. So he told me to take it the transmission place they didnt know neither. It started to happen when I let friend try my ecu in his car so I replaced the ecu and problem was gone. I'm glad you got it fixed. When this happen to me I couldn't really find any help on the web