HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   EXTREME GAS MILEAGE ISSUES! HELP!! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/extreme-gas-mileage-issues-help-24839/)

96civicex2006 07-07-2006 07:34 AM

EXTREME GAS MILEAGE ISSUES! HELP!!

HCF hasn't let me down yet!

I'm getting around 22-24 MPG mostly highway, and the car has absolutely NO power. I just spent over $600 on the following: Plugs, wires, cap, button, pcv, fuel filter, gas treatment, no visible leaks, new timing belt, waterpump, and 1 new O2 sensor. A month or so ago the car was throwing CEL of TooRich/TooLean, but now thats not even coming on.

The Civic is breaking the bank, and I need some serious help! I can't afford a new car right now...

96 Honda Civic EX, 5 speed
180K, (Lots of punishment from me, but the last couple years its been babied)

fglaustin 07-07-2006 08:14 AM

RE: EXTREME GAS MILEAGE ISSUES! HELP!!

what is HCF?

96civicex2006 07-07-2006 08:24 AM

HCF = HondaCivicForums......

fglaustin 07-07-2006 08:26 AM

that no power issus is what i experienced when i had to move a friend's van right after an engine change and he did not finish it.

the timing was off - and not by a lot, either.

make sure your timing is perfect.

96civicex2006 07-07-2006 08:57 AM

BTW, what should the timing be on my Civic?

fglaustin 07-07-2006 09:48 AM

open the hood.
should be a sticker under the hood - will give that info and a lot more.
and whatever those aftermarket manuals say; they always say to look at the sticker, and the sticker takes preference.

(i figured out hcf right after i posted, but thanxs)

96civicex2006 07-07-2006 10:07 AM

Oh yeah, I also took the injectors out last weekend and cleaned them and the screens in the top of them.

Are there any sensors that go bad that could affect gas mileage that much? I thought about replacing the other O2 sensor, but that is an expensive troubleshot!

fglaustin 07-07-2006 10:13 AM

my friend once said that his van mileage was not what it should be - went to a repair shop and the guy hooked up to the computer to read for codes.
the check engine light was not on, but i wonder that the code reader could find something even though the light does not come on. i think that is the case.

is your cel on?

is that port or throttle body? (wonder if my injectors can can apart for cleaning - 88 civic with 1.5 liter and throttle body)

96civicex2006 07-07-2006 10:21 AM

The CEL is not on anymore. Was throwing Too Lean/Too rich code a month or so ago.

When the repair shop did the TimingBelt/WaterPump last week, he put it on his machine (usually a $70 price tag) and he couldn't find any codes. I had him check the fuel pressure as well while driving and everything was fine he said. (This is a well-proven mechanic by the way, although no-one's perfect.)

Mine is throttle body. The mechanic suggested cleaning the injectors b/c of the high mileage. He said that was something I could do myself and save the money. It was easy, but wasn't the problem.

Phil Mygroin 07-07-2006 03:38 PM

You haven't said anything about an air filter (maybe you forgot to mention it). Have you changed or checked it recently?