Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering wheel Excess turning problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Default Steering wheel Excess turning problem?

I took my car in for the regular 60,000 – 70,000 Mile maintenance schedule at a Honda Dealership.

Sadly I went in wearing a suit that was for a job interview elsewhere. My issue is I have never had any problems with my civic until 10 mins after leaving the dealership. The dealer did the scheduled maintenance along with the oil change ect. . After driving for 10 mins I notice all kinds of noises that were not there prior to bring the car in. Same day after stopping at the store getting back in the car starting it up then putting my seatbelt on the SRS light comes on, Getting out later unbuckling the belt I noticed a small piece of white plastic come out of the seatbelt locking mechanism.

Also as soon as I drove off the dealership lot I noticed my steering was extremely loose and it would take excessive rotation of the steering wheel just to make a normal turn. Question is what adjustment change did they make thinking they would have me get them to make repairs for the problem they created.

I must say that was the worst Dealership visit I have ever experienced in my life. Not only did they put way to much oil in the car but at the end of my visit they handed me a list of 1300 worth of repairs I will need to get soon. So I bought all those parts that would be required took the car to a friend mechanic he put it up on his hoist and said take all those parts back you don't need any of them and showed me part by part.

After that before bringing the parts back I took the car to my brothers friend who also looked at it and said the dealership garage is trying to rook you.

Overall I took the parts back and told them I was on to their garage work generation repair policy.

My question is to anyone out their what would have they done that causes me to have to turn the steering wheel a lot to make a simple turn? And how do I verify it and correct it?

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Default RE: Steering wheel Excess turning problem?

That dealer might have custom build some damages to your car parts so that you will go back to them for repairs. what a very unlawful way of getting clients... don't go back to them again.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Default RE: Steering wheel Excess turning problem?

Just take it back and say "I don't know what you did, but I'm taking you to small claims court if you don't correct it" because if you have testimony from another mechanic that they tried to jip you with other repairs that aren't needed, the judge will likely rule against them for trying to charge you for stuff you say they broke too.