Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help!!!! please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 AM
HCF Member
Default Help!!!! please.

I've had some weird idle problems with my car since I got it. I just put a new clutch in, drove it home... Then we did a whole bunch of little stuff the car needed, and it seems like since I cleaned the carbon out of the IACV, it doesnt want to run right. It's throwing the map code... we've put 2 different ones in it and it didn't fix it. It doesnt want to idle, and when i drive it if you get on the gas at all , or basically go over 3 grand the car falls flat on it's face. Can anyone give me any ideas on this?

Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Default RE: Help!!!! please.

SOunds like a Fuel Air Mixture problem. Check the O2 sensors. Also you mentioned two replacements, did you mean two MAP sensor replacements or two IACV replacements? Could the IACV be jammed?

Old 05-18-2006, 12:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: DanH

SOunds like a Fuel Air Mixture problem. Check the O2 sensors. Also you mentioned two replacements, did you mean two MAP sensor replacements or two IACV replacements? Could the IACV be jammed?
I tried putting two different MAP's in... and neither one of them changed anything. But it's still throwing the code. And I'm hoping the IACV isnt bad... but is there any way to tell? And how would I check the o2 sensor?

Old 05-18-2006, 12:34 PM

You'd basically have to change them out. As for the IACV, I myself have never tried to test one. There out there on the Net copies of the Dealers Maintenance manual. If your familiar with torrents and such it shouldn't be too hard to locate a copy.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:32 AM

Since the car doesn't seem to idle, it is most likely a problem with your IAC motor. One thing I have learned from experience is that those IAC motors react very poorly to any kinds of cleaner. They are very sensitive and cleaning them can actually do more bad than good. If you have carbon in an IAC motor, don't mess with it..."if it aint broke, don't fix it". Now, the reason why your map sensor may be tripping a code is because the IAC motor basically creates a controlled vacuum leak to meter idle speed. For example, if you pull a vacuum hose on a well idling motor, the idle speed will increase. The IAC motor gets signals from the computer to open or close and maintain proper idle speed using this principle. If you have a bad IAC motor, it may be causing the manifold vacuum to be a little too high, low, or erratic. The MAP sensor reads this vacuum, and if it doesn't like what it senses (a reading other than that of a normal idle), it will throw a code. This explains why two new map sensors didn't solve the problem...they were probably working correctly, but your IAC motor is bad. Try unplugging the connector from the IAC motor and see if the affects the idle. If it doesn't I can almost guarantee that is your problem. Also, check the voltage at the IAC connector and make sure there is some. Either way, I would suggest buying a new one and installing it. If it doesn't work you can always take it back, but I'm pretty sure thats your problem.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the info. I've been having a problem with the idle for a while, i didnt use any cleaner, i just figured that I would get some of the carbon out of it to see if it helped. I unplugged the IACV last night... and it lowered the idle a little, but still bounced... I unplugged the tps and it stopped bouncing. So I'm a little confused... I'd like to go get another intake from the junkyard, but there arent any integras around in them... so that kinda sucks. I'm gonna check the voltage and whatnot tonight to see what it reads. After I unplugged those two sensors, I got the car to rev up to 4200, but dies after that... But I guess it's better than 3000. But I'm definitely gonna get a new IAC and work from there after I test them.