Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating - replaced Rad, Thermostat, Temp sensor, hoses...still overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Default Overheating - replaced Rad, Thermostat, Temp sensor, hoses...still overheating

I have replaced my Radiator as the top of it was leaking. I also had the thermostat changed, top hose from rad and also the small hose going into the heater core (?) (into the firewall). Added the coolant (premix). I noticed that when it was cold outside it was fine. Then the weather got warmer and I noticed that I never heard the rad fan kick in. Tested the fan by connecting it to my battery and it comes on. I replaced the temp sensor (TW) and now the fan kicks in when the temp gauge reaches about 1/2 way. But it still rises and I have to crank on my heating in the car to full and then it will go down to the usual about a 1/3 of the way. This is obviuosly not an issue when driving on the highway since the rad gets cooled by the wind. Happens while driving in the city. Also, when I would idle or drive and rev the engine I could hear liquid swooshing sound from the passenger area (although I cannot hear this sound now). Can't figure this out. Would this be a heater core issue? Does the water pump need to be changed? Flush the rad? PLEASE, PLEASE any help/suggestions would help at this point.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Default RE: Overheating - replaced Rad, Thermostat, Temp sensor, hoses...still overheating

try to flush out your engine block. there is a big plug on the front and you take it out and run clean water through it till all the crap comes out, that might help a bit. i don't think the water pump is your problem, because you would probalby have more problems than that. if you have a lot of miles change your timing belt/water pump before they break to save you a lot of cash

Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Default RE: Overheating - replaced Rad, Thermostat, Temp sensor, hoses...still overheating

try bleeding the system could have an air pocket some where

Old 05-17-2006, 11:57 PM

I strongly suggest also checking your oil. These are aluminum heads and if you warped it you could be getting warter in your oil gallies. If the oil looks milky (Caramel in color) then you need to absolutely NOT drive or even run it. The aforementioned is of course a worst case scenario. You could also have a problem with your water pump. I would suggest taking it to a RAD shop and let them run a pressure test on it, this will tell you if you have any opens in the system. Most Rad shops will do the pressure test for cheap or free depending on how nice you are.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:40 AM

All are good suggestions. There may be a combustion leak in your cooling system...cracked head, leaky head gasket. Best thing in the world is a leak down test. Once the cylinder is pressurized, pop the radiator cap and check for a rising coolant level or air bubbles in the coolant. If they're present, you have a combustion leak, which can definitely cause the overheating.