Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Found problem but is it correct?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:53 AM
Default Found problem but is it correct?

Thank you all for helping me with my overheating problem and hitting it right on the head with the problem being the head gasket.Well i took it to a backyard mechanic who is excellent but has ripped people off in past for repairs.Not me yet. He thinks I have money so here goes.He tested the valve compression and found 2@ 140 psi and 2 that were leaking.I saw the test. He said the valves are bad from #1 wear(105K miles) and overheating (which i had to keep it running to get home x5-7 X) He also said that I needed my head gasket, including where the valves go into it ground down (dont know exact word for what he is going to do and it is not because i am a female) He said the guy charges between $300-400 for this.I asked why the oil was not cloudy and he said the water had not gotten into the engine yet but if it did it would be a lot more work. He said parts would be around $400 .This included 1 head gasket set 2 head bolts 3 top overhaul gasket set . I can get them from mainland and sent to me but that will take 3-5 days and i need my car so in hawaii will be paying about double for parts. He said the metal man will need the head gasket set for seals before he will start grinding the head gasket. He also said iy is overheating due to the 2 leaking valves??? TRUE>?? I had already had the radiator,water pump,thermostat,fans and fan covers replaced. About 3 yrs ago i wrecked it (front end collision) and I remember the mechanic working on it replacing the 1 valve coil.She said it was from the collision. That seems odd to me due to it's location,but what do I know I am a dumb girl.I had not driven the car for 3 years. He also wants 1K for his and his partners time above cost for parts and grinding from george the metal guy. So total will be about $17,00.Does anyone see anything wrong with what he is saying? I mean in cost of parts and george and his labor.He works from home garage so yeah no taxes from me!!! LOL! Anything else I should ask him or look for.. The oil is good and nothing from exhaust that i could see but did not really look for it ,. Would the leaking valve cause the overheating or would the overheating cause the valves to leak? He said both things,but at different times so I did not catch it till I reread my notes.If no water in oil then how can the head gasket be bad or doesnt it always cause water in oil.. Anything will help me from getting ripped offf as I get very angry when I do and this is not a company I can complain about on the complaint web site"rip off's" Thank you in advance and I may be a girl but I do my homework so I do not get ripped off and don't worry about me not understanding something as I look everything up that I don't understand.. Thanx in advance. O and a big one!! Will this stop my car from overheating and what caused it in the first place??.... Also would George really need the gaskets or seal's before he starts to grind the head gasket?? I would think my mechanic would put the gaskets on??? Can someone help me quick as i must go drop my car off if i am using this guy and dont want ripped off..HELP

Last edited by sharonmil@hotmail.com; 05-25-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: new info