HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Fuel Filter (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/fuel-filter-54052/)

Hawk998 10-18-2007 04:34 PM

Fuel Filter

Hi I just discovered this form and I am impressed!!! I have been a Honda civic owner for many years, currently have two, a 2002 and a 1999, both purchased new, I just sold a 1986 (purchased new)with just under 300 K and it ran like a dream, in fact the guy I sold it too took it to a mech. and could find nothing wrong.

Question? I hope someone can help, it really is not much of a problem except it really bugs me, My "99" is starting to run a little rough (at speed it feels like it is hesatating a little (like a miss) hard to expaine) I thought I would change the fuel filter, it is not listed in my manual, but I did find one at the parts store, and found where it goes (on the firewall) I have never changed one before, ARE they suspose to last forever????, is there anything I should be aware of??? is it a presurized system?? if so how to release the preasure, Thanks for any and all advise, I have been reading some of the posts here and I think there is a lot of knowleadge here, Hawk

civicpimpinsc 10-18-2007 04:57 PM

RE: Fuel Filter

Yes the system is pressurized, and must have the pressure bled off before you try to remove the filter...

I always just disabled the fuel pump and turned the engine over to release the pressure... find the fuse and pull it out, then turn the engine over, should let all the pressure out of the lines... On my other car it has an inertia shut off switch for the pump in case your in an accident, if you trip that while it's running it acomplishes the same goal, however I don't think the civics have one, at least not one that is accessible like that...

On the top it should screw on, and on the bottom I believe it has a clip that holds the line on, I could be wrong though... Mine is a 93... But, there's only two ways for it to work, screw on or clip on... If the line is clip on just pop the clip out, being careful not to let it fly off somewhere and lose itself, and then swap out the filter... if it screws on, obviously just unscrew the old one, and screw in the new one...

One of the easiest maintenance jobs you can do on your car...

civicpimpinsc 10-18-2007 05:02 PM

Also, you may look into plugs, wires, cap, and rotor if that doesn't help... if it's over 100k miles and hasn't had that done, it's about time, and probably what's causing the problem...

Hawk998 10-19-2007 01:26 PM

civicpimpinsc, A big thanks, I have changed the plugs but not the wires, I will look into that, yes, the "99" has about 130,000 (it seems they go forever) an "86" I sold (gave away) had just under 300,000 and out side of the timeing belt, really not much was done, just regular maint .I do not remember changing the fuel filter, in fact I am positive it was not done. This "99" is my first auto trans, I changes the tranny fluid thinking this might help, also did a timeing belt change, which it needed anyway, I do not think this is a serious problem, just annoying, also I think I am going to sell it and I want it in top shape. Again Thanks for taking the time, Hawk,

Type RB 10-19-2007 07:36 PM

I think you'll be surprised how much fuel system pressure bleeds off by simply opening the gas cap first.

Stumasters 10-20-2007 05:07 PM

+ 1 for the cap. You should unscrew your gas cap, pull the fuel pump fuse inside the pannel, it's a 7.5 if i remember correctly, and pull your negative battery cap off, so there's no chance of sparking or what not. Remember your dealing with fuel. Once you loosen one of the hoses, wrap it with a rag, a little fuel might run out but once it stops the pressure is gone.

They are supposed to be replaced about every 30k, like the air filter, but most people don't do it. Reinstall is a snap. Might help some with the running issues.

addiction2bass 10-20-2007 06:07 PM

ya just dont freak out after ya replace it... the CEL light will come on... simply pull the memory fuse for about 10seconds and put the fuse back in to clear the CEL code

Hawk998 10-21-2007 05:07 AM

I want to Thank all of you for taking the time. this has been a great help to me, I hope someday I can help all of you with something , Thanks Hawk998

AntiRiceYO 10-21-2007 07:36 AM

i really doubt your problem is your fuel fiter.....