HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Fuel Guage Stuck on Full (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/fuel-guage-stuck-full-85759/)

tyler2004ex 10-09-2010 06:55 AM

Fuel Guage Stuck on Full

Hey guys, I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX 2Door and yesterday I ran over a speed bump pretty hard, now the fuel guage is stuck on full. All my other guages work fine, and I don't think it's the cluster. Some friends suggested it may be a float inside the tank?? I don't want to have to pay to have the tank dropped, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks!!!

Da64u 10-09-2010 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by tyler2004ex (Post 738070)
Hey guys, I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX 2Door and yesterday I ran over a speed bump pretty hard, now the fuel guage is stuck on full. All my other guages work fine, and I don't think it's the cluster. Some friends suggested it may be a float inside the tank?? I don't want to have to pay to have the tank dropped, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks!!!

Have you tried running over the speed bump again? =]

tyler2004ex 10-09-2010 08:49 AM

lol, i did actually...no luck. i'm pretty sure it's not my guage because it goes back to empty when i turn the car off.

does anyone know what the process for replace a fuel float is?

theblackpearl 10-09-2010 08:51 AM

I believe the sensor is right under the rear seats so you dint have to drop the tank. But in my experience, both time I encountered a fuel gauge not working it was the cluster

DaOne 10-09-2010 09:08 AM

Yeah you might wanna take your cluster and make sure the connections are good.
give the cables a nice shake and then hook it back up and hope it works.
And then if that doesnt work then take a look at the float.

Thats what I WOULD DO.

mk378 10-09-2010 10:51 AM

Take out the bottom cushion of the back seat and unplug the wires that go to the fuel tank. Turn key on and gauge should read empty. If it does, the problem is the sender. I'm pretty sure the sender can be reached by taking the access plate off under the seat.

tyler2004ex 10-10-2010 05:57 PM

how do i remove the rear seats?

thanks

baker 10-10-2010 07:23 PM

There are a few bolts (I think they are 10's) holding down the bottom cushions.

MissPurpleCivic 04-12-2011 11:00 AM

Would this also apply to a 93 Civic? Mine stays on full, and if you take a curve just right it will go down to about where the fuel level should be *keeping up with miles in the mean time* and then it slowly goes back to full after a few min. Thanks. =)

mk378 04-12-2011 11:20 AM

Yes it's the same in a 93. Unplug at the tank and the gauge should go to empty. If it doesn't it's either a bad cluster or a short from the wire to ground.

To remove the back seat to access the wires, have the seat backs up in normal position, and look in the crack between the top and bottom cushions. There is a bolt slightly left of the center (on the driver's side.) Remove that bolt and then pull the back part of the bottom cushion up and out. It will tilt forward and disengage from the latches at the front.