Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

fuel injector wiring problem? maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM
HCF Member
Default fuel injector wiring problem? maybe?

OK so i messed with some wiring in my car and my car wont start... obviously this was a stupid idea, i understand that now lol but now i need help to get it running again. i think what happened is i messed up the grounding for my fuel injectors. correct me if i am wrong but the injector has two wires, one from the ecu and the other is ground. the ecu sends a (positive) signal which completes the circuit and sends fuel threw. like i said if im wrong correct me... so anyway where should those fuel injectors be grounded too. there is a plug by the drivers side strut tower. it has 8 wires going in and nothing coming out, on the other side it looks like a cap kind of. it connects all the wires together which is why i assume its for a grounding point. but there is no bolt to ground it to, which confuses me. also i checked Ohms, or conductivity or whatever you want to call it. i checked this between the wire on the injector plug and the plug by the drivers strut, i got nothing. so i guess what im asking,

1. are the yellow with black stripe wires coming from the injectors the ground wire, all four injectors have this color wire

2. where does this ground wire go, does it go to the plug by the drivers strut?

3. where does the ground end, like where does it connect to the body?

thanks in advance, ill try to add some pics cause i think im just confusing myself and probably everyone else.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
HCF Member

Name:  IMG_20120904_170429.jpg
Views: 9037
Size:  70.7 KB

so this is the cap at the end of the plug by the drivers strut

Name:  IMG_20120904_170405.jpg
Views: 15388
Size:  76.7 KB

this is one of my injectors, i forgot to say this is a 95 ex. this kinda shows the yellow wire with a black stripe, there is 4 injectors, they all share this color wire along with another that is a different color, blue on one, brown on another, orange on another, and some other color...

Name:  IMG_20120904_170421.jpg
Views: 11886
Size:  96.3 KB

this is the plug by the strut, as you can see lots of yellow and black wires... basically i know nothing...

Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The cap plug simply connects all the wires together. One of the yellow / blacks is the feed from the ignition switch (and fuse under the dash). All the others go to things on the engine that need power for various reasons. Four of them go to the injectors, so one end of each injector coil has 12 volts with the key on. The other side of each injector is connected to the ECU, which drives it to ground at the proper time to inject fuel for the corresponding cylinder.

Unlike what you said, the injectors actually work on "negative logic". The wiring under the hood supplies the power. The ECU drives the ground.

In other words, that "junction connector" is the 12 volt bus for the hot side of the injectors, and various other sensors. With it plugged in and the key on, you should measure battery voltage on both wires of each injector (since the ECU won't drive them to ground unless the engine is turning).

Last edited by mk378; 09-04-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

so what you are saying is these wires need to be always hot, when the car is on, to be able to start? and it goes under the dash to the fuse box?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes. It may come from the main relay I don't remember for sure.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

ok sorry im gonna have a stupid moment here again, so the positive comes from under the dash, up to this plug cap combo, then to the injectors. so this plug cap combo has to be wired to one of the other two plugs in the picture because those are the only two plugs that go into the vehicle. ok im gonna go spend some time with a multi meter to find the right wire lol... if all goes good it will start and you are officially my best friend. if not ill have some more questions.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

ok i smell gas now, which i take as a good thing cause i didnt before. but it still does not start. what all does the main relay power, i know it powers the ecu, the starter, and the injectors. anything else that you know off hand?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you've removed the main relay, I think that you need to put it back. The ECU checks if it is working. Consider it a vital part like the ECU is.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
HCF Member

ok so i have fuel, but no spark. im going to take some pictures for you, since your like the smartest person in the world, maybe you can help one more time =)

Old 09-04-2012, 03:59 PM
HCF Member

ok there is three plugs going to the distrubitor, two large ones and one small one, the small one has two wires. one big black with yellow stripe wire and one blue wire. i need to know where the black wire yellow stripe is supposed to go, if you know great. if you have no clue im looking threw a wire diagram right now to try to find it, but i suck at this... ill add a pic in a min

Quick Reply: fuel injector wiring problem? maybe?