Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 Civic DX backup lights/Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Default 94 Civic DX backup lights/Cruise Control

Hello all

I am having a couple problems that are driving me crazy on my 94 Civic automatic. This afternoon I noticed that my back up lights are not coming on. I checked the fuses and the bulbs and everything is ok there. I saw somewhere about a console switch but I cannot find it or even know if that is the right thing to look for.

Also I noticed the other day that my cruise control seems to not do anything. I hit the button to turn it on and hit the set button but nothing happens and the light never comes on.

I have no idea if these are related and I have no idea if maybe something was done or happened when I had my timing belt replaced two weeks ago by Honda.

I am not all that concerned about the cruise control but the back up lights I need to figure out so I can have my car pass inspection next month.

if this was the wrong forum to post I apologize. Thanks for your help

Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

A common link for the problems is fuse 15 under the dash.

Lights:
Check whether fuse 15 is blown. Check the switch in the shift console.

Cruise:
Check whether fuse 15, 24, or 42 is blown.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

On an automatic, the switch that controls the backup lights is located at the base of the shift lever inside the car. Take the plastic console cover off and you should see it. Also the switch probably inhibits the cruise unless it detects the lever is in drive and not park neutral reverse or low.

This shouldn't have anything to do with replacing the timing belt. That is all done under the hood.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 AM

wow thanks for the fast responses all.

I took the plastic cover off of the console and I couldnt figure out where the switch was. I mean I saw a bunch of connectors and everything but didnt know which was which. Although it was midnight and dark out so I might have just missed it.

Is there a picture of what I am looking for anywhere? The pictures in the Haynes book are so grainy I cant really tell what I am looking for.

I will re check those fuses after work. Were those all fuses under the dash?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Fuses 15 and 24 are under the dash, whereas fuse 42 is under the hood.

Name:  picture_1915.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  58.0 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 01-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM

sorry for all the newbish questions but I ma having a hard time finding the 42 fuse. I am not in front of my car at the moment but I am looking at the service manual for the car and I am looking at the under-hood fuse/Relay box and there is no fuse 42.

I do see it listed on the next page but I cant figure out where in the corresponding drawing the actual fuse is.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Good point. I never noticed the omission of a label for fuses 42 and 43 in the diagram. It's the 20A fuse (one of the two empty slots) directly below fuse 41.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM

great I shall check when I get home from work.

Thanks again

Old 02-14-2009, 02:20 PM

so its not a fuse, they are all fine.

I got to the console switch area and I believe I am checking the continuity correctly and it appears that I have continuity between the 4 and 5 terminals when I shift into Reverse. What would be the next thing to check?

Thanks

Last edited by billbrasky82; 02-14-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The following test is done on the terminal 5 equivalent of the wire harness connector that couples with the shift console connector that you tested for continuity. With the key positioned to ON(II), you measure 12V at the terminal 5 equivalent to ground.

Likewise test whether you measure 12V on the battery side of fuse 15 with the key positioned to ON(II).

Last edited by RonJ; 02-14-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 94 Civic DX backup lights/Cruise Control