HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Fuel Pump Relay (Main Relay) location? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/fuel-pump-relay-main-relay-location-82923/)

ktorres1120 05-18-2010 06:26 AM

Fuel Pump Relay (Main Relay) location?

I have a 1997 Civic EX Sedan. I've been having problems where my car will start up fine, then after it warms up, it will shut off completely. All power works after it shuts down but it wont start up again. Then after it sits for a while, it will start back up....then die again about 3 minutes later. I was advised by a few people that I should replace the fuel pump relay aka main relay.

Now where exactly is it in my year Civic? I was told it was under the drivers side dash near the fuses but was also told it was on the passenger side behind the glove box to the right.

I ended up getting a main relay assembly from the dealer and replaced the one on the passenger side. I removed the glove box and it was just to the right however the problem still occurs. I was told again that it is on the drivers side.

Are there 2 main relay assemblies?

mk378 05-18-2010 06:38 AM

There is only one. Earlier models (1995 and before) have it on the driver's side. Your model has it on the passenger side.

A common cause of this problem is the ICM or "igniter" module that drives the ignition coil. While it is not willing to start, unplug one of the spark plug wires and connect it to a spare spark plug. Hold the plug against the engine and have someone turn the key to crank. See if the plug sparks. If it does not, likely your ICM is quitting when it gets hot. This part is mounted inside the distributor.

Also whenever you have a cranks but won't start situation it's often useful to scan the ECU for trouble codes.

ktorres1120 05-18-2010 06:48 AM

Ok i'll give that a try thanks! So the main relay assembly that I bought at the dealer and replaced, I should be ok to return that now I guess (if they will take it back) since it didn't solve the problem. I had 3 mechanics online who all told me to replace the main relay and it will fix everything. I was super positive it would be fixed after that.

I think this car is cursed...

ktorres1120 05-18-2010 12:35 PM

Just replaced the Ignition Control Module and everything is running great now! Thank you very much mk378!

Wendy Peterson 12-15-2012 04:25 PM

i have a 1995 honda civic and whenever the humidity rises or it rains it wont start now it will turn over but when i turn the key to the on position i dont hear the fuel pump priming.... i think it is a fuel pump relay switch on the fire wall on drivers side but i cant find it can anyone please help

mk378 12-15-2012 06:12 PM

It is mounted to the side of the car under the dash, right above the handle that you pull to open the hood.

Onukent 09-04-2013 05:54 PM

Question about your post, thanks

My 96 Civic LX is doing the same thing. The question I have for you is the ICM located within the distributor or outside? So far I have replaced plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, distributor, fuel pressure tested and is good and no go. The car runs great until it engine warms up and it starts to miss and then will eventually stall out. Let sit and then starts back up and same thing all over. I have ordered a Fuel Pump Main Relay and will replace that tomorrow and see what happens (believe it's located on passenger side outside glove box).

Thanks for any insight!:)

Originally Posted by mk378 (Post 714585)
There is only one. Earlier models (1995 and before) have it on the driver's side. Your model has it on the passenger side.

A common cause of this problem is the ICM or "igniter" module that drives the ignition coil. While it is not willing to start, unplug one of the spark plug wires and connect it to a spare spark plug. Hold the plug against the engine and have someone turn the key to crank. See if the plug sparks. If it does not, likely your ICM is quitting when it gets hot. This part is mounted inside the distributor.

Also whenever you have a cranks but won't start situation it's often useful to scan the ECU for trouble codes.

mk378 09-04-2013 08:07 PM

ICM is inside the distributor, you need to remove the rotor and the plastic insulator plate to see it.