Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Generic DENSO Oxygen Sensor Wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Default Generic DENSO Oxygen Sensor Wiring help

I purchases 2 generic Denso Oxygen sensors for my 2001 Honda Civic DX 5MT Coupe. These generic sensors do not have the honda connector at the other end, but rather plain wires. You are supposed to recycle your old connector by hooking it up on the new wires on the new sensor. The problem is the wire colors do not match. Does any one know how to do this? Any way of measuring which wire is which? Both of my sensors are bad, so quessing would produce at least 32 different combinations or more. Attached is a picture of the stock sensor (left, in car) and the new Denso generic sensor (right side, $22 a piece). Does the check engine light turn off immediately when the sensors are fixed or does it take extended period of time like it did on my other car?

Thanks, Juha

[IMG]local://upfiles/12265/0EEA8856E9794DA8A14F1936FD4BBAF8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-21-2006, 08:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Generic DENSO Oxygen Sensor Wiring help

should disconnect at the neg terminal of your battery before starting - light should not be on whenever you start back up (at least has been my experience).

least you have a connector - i did not have that. cut so to leave yourself plenty of room where you do not melt the shrink tubing (is my best advice). cut, strip, put on shrink tubing, solder, and position the shrink tubing and shrink it. that's the way i do it.

or just buy the electrical connectors that you just crimp the 2 ends - easier. then just cut (not close to the connector), and use those connectors that you crimp the 2 ends.
cannot help with the wire colors since i have only worked with an 88, and it is just one wire.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:13 AM

Found the document below of Bosch website... Wire colors kind of match Denso. Two middle wires are so called heater wires, which I believe are supplied somekind of straight voltage. One is ground and one wire is oxygen output wire that will have small voltage read by ecu based on the amount of oxygen detected.

http://acquiremind.com/OxygenSensorInstall.pdf

Old 07-22-2006, 11:21 AM

Type A Type B HONDA GM TITANIA

OE Heater White = Black = Black = Brown = White

OE Heater White = Black = Black = Brown = Red

OE Signal Black = Blue = White = Purple = Black

OE Ground Gray = White = Green = Tan

Here are the wire color table for Denso. Now you just need to figure out whether you have Type A or B Denso O2 sensor. Mine happens to be the Type B.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:54 AM

I must just be an idiot, but what is Type A, Type B, how do I know which one I have? The instructions in the box are the ones that are on the pdf on the other thread. They make no mention of Honda at all. Has anyone installed the sensor in a Civic that knows the color scheme? Thanks

Old 09-22-2006, 07:45 AM
HCF Member

other manufacturers may be using that color combination also. the fact that honda is not mentioned does not make any difference.

might figure it out anyway.
what color of wires do you have on the car?

Old 09-22-2006, 07:54 AM
HCF Member

to repeat what was said over on the other thread:

<<on that pdf link at the bottom, it says:
"since there is no polarity to the heaters, it is only important to match the color of the heater wires"

IS there a mistake there: (?????)
should it not say, ...", it is NOT important ...">>

what is printed on your instructions as far as the above ???

Old 09-22-2006, 10:15 AM

On table I posted, align the columns. Now if you have type A then your colors match on that column, Type B colors match on the next column etc... Sorry for the bad table. Heaters wires (same color wires usually white or black) you can connect either that thus the same color coding.