Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Lowered my civic and it's rubbing like hell, really

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM
HCF Member
Default Lowered my civic and it's rubbing like hell, really

Before I installed my new shocks/struts and lowering springs I was expecting the car to be fine, no rubs, and to sit above the tires with maybe 1/2" gap. After after all is said and done, the tires are nearly tucked and every bump or turn sharper than 30 degrees going faster than 20mph=RUB!!!!

I felt like an idiot when I was test driving to make sure everything was ok. People were probably like, "WTF is that noise or does this dude not know how to drive?" I went to autozone and advanced to see if they had any tools to roll the wells and both stores looked confused as hell as to what I was asking for. I tried calling it different things, tried describing it to them and no one from either store had a single clue as to what I was asking for. I live in a city where every ricer and car that has potential is lowered. Either they all rub or I'm just an idiot making things up.

please help. What can I use to get rid of the rub.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 PM

It's called a fender rolling tool. That helps some. What is it rubbing on, the black plastic inner fender covers?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

how much did you drop it?

what size rims do you have? what offset?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

205/40/17's

1.8" front
1.7" rear

most auto shops are closed sundays which sucks. Was searching, may just cut out the inner wheel wells and take a hammer to the edge. And I should probably set the front to some negative camber because I have it flush right now.

If I remove the wheel wells do that put me at risk for any other problems?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:51 PM

i have same tires, and my rims are a 40 offset
same springs as you

what i did is i just did the baseball bat method... If you're careful, it'll work fine.

you take a metal baseball bat and take the big end and stick it in between the tire and fender, at the bottom of the fender, and carefully roll it along the tire while bending the fender out. You have to bend it out gradually so it works smoothly and turns out good. Also, heat up the paint where you are bending the fender to prevent chipping.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya you need a fender roller BUT theres not any local shops that sell the fender roller. if you have stock wheels. slap them on until you get the fender roller

when you lower a car you need the right offset size which is the most important thing!

but first thing to do is find out whats actualy rubbing!!!! if its in the front it could just be the plastic liner getting rubbed then you can simply jack the car up and push the upper clips that hold the plastic liner to the fender and simply push them upwards to kinda bend the tabs up and hopefully will be enough to not rub.

but most likely your rear tires are the worst rubbing due to the offset and inner fender lip.
search ebay for eastwood fender roller. new or used expect to pay ruffly 200-250bucks. just buy it use it and sell the tool again.... youll get most of your money back almost always! at most ya lose the shipping costs....
well worth it IMO... dont do it all ghetto with a baseball bat or a pipe... thats just ghetto.... it might work but its alot more prone to other damage!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

You should be ok with those wheels. That what I have on my car and they are fine. but I have rolled my fenders too so they won't rub.

I have heard of people doing the baseball bat thing, but I would personally recommend just renting a fender roller and doing it right. and use a heat gun on the paint so that you don't crack it. dont get it too hot though or you will bubble and melt it