Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

forth igintion coil 3 months help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 PM
HCF Member
Unhappy forth igintion coil 3 months help!!

ok i am on my fouth igintion coil my first one went when i was checking my plugs after a tune up and the wire fell apart. i replaced the wires dist. cap and rotor and the coil. the second time it went was from boosting it after leaveing my lights on. the third tiem is from swaping battery in my car i am on my fourth coil now and am starting to think its the ecu or the icm can any one help me any input would help

Last edited by Seamus; 10-30-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Can you see any burned or damaged wires in the distributor?

Is there any moisture or corrosion in the distributor?

How old are the plug wires?

Is your distributor missing the inner cover?

Name:  picture_1581.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  39.0 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 10-29-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

all of my connections are clean there is no moisture i just replaced the wires so there about a month old now and i have the inner cover

Old 10-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Seamus
all of my connections are clean there is no moisture i just replaced the wires so there about a month old now and i have the inner cover
How do you verify that the coils blows? Do you test the coils or have them tested?

Coils commonly blow when spark generated by the coil cannot properly ground. Are the blown coils associated with removal of plug wires or the distributor cap while the engine is running or cranking?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 AM
HCF Member

What kind of spark plugs do you have?

Ive heard stories (not firsthand) about certain kinds of plugs blowing coils or ignitors.

Ive also heard stories about faulty ignitors (ICM) being the real cause. Can you find an AutoZone or someplace that can test your ICM as well as testing your coil?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

i have replaced my icm, cleaned all of the connections, replaced the ignition coil replaced fuse number 41 and number 9 and i am still not geting any spark i have boch sparkplug wires and ngk iridium plugs i am banging my head off the wall now lol i can't figure this out

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 PM
gwl
HCF Member

What brand are the cap and rotor. Maybe its leaking/arcing inside causing the coil to go bad.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

champion cap and rotor

Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you have power at the distributor connector when the key is turned to ON(II)?

Does the fuel pump also fail to prime when the key is turned to ON(II)?

Check the important ground wire on the thermostat housing. It may be loose or corroded.

What tests showed that the coils were blown?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:01 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Weird problem that started with the plug wires. Try a different set/brand wires, cap, and rotor. Also, check the connections around the distributor. It seems the problem started there. I like the ideas that Ron mentioned, especially the ground wire.

Quick Reply: forth igintion coil 3 months help!!