Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear main seal and clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 07:45 PM
Default Rear main seal and clutch problems

Hey all,

I have a 2014 Civic Si coupe. It has approximately 73000 kilometers on it. I had been hearing a metal on metal reverberation from the car recently and took it in to be diagnosed. My Honda dealership says that my clutch is toast and that my rear main seal needs to be replaced.

Both of these are awfully expensive, but my extended warranty covers the rear main seal, so that's good at least. They claim that I am on the hook for the clutch, which I thought was fair until I did some perusing on the internet about the rear main seal. I've seen that if it was dripping oil onto my clutch that it would definitely damage my clutch. Is this a likely possibility?

If I could get my clutch covered as well because of the rear main seal it would seriously help my current budget as a University student.
Any help and insight would be hugely appreciated as I have scheduled the repairs to start on Monday.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:09 PM
HCF Member

yes it is extremely likely that your clutch can be ruined by oil coming from the rear main seal. check on your extended warranty policy. if its a general extended warranty the diagnosis and repairs do not have to be done at the shop of purchase. they can be done at any shop you want. you can also call the warranty company directly and argue your case that a leaking rear main seal will burn out a dry clutch system.