HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   headlight problem (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/headlight-problem-30055/)

packman5280 10-02-2006 12:30 PM

headlight problem

Need some help with my headlights. I have an 86 CRX Si, and the headlights seem to be stuck between high and low beam. The indicator on the dash stays on when I switch between the two. on low setting, the lights are barely even on, very dim. On high setting, the highs appear to work, although only one light comes on (I think it was always this way, only one one high beam). Any ideas where to start looking? I replaced the whole switch stalk (headlights and wipers, behind the steering wheel) with a part form the junk yard and still have the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

packman5280 10-02-2006 08:39 PM

RE: headlight problem

HA! Whel, it turns out I got a couple bad silverstars. Replaced the bulbs 6 months ago with silverstars, and never had the pass high work. figured it was just the car and never worried too much. well, while troubleshooting, I switched the bulbs and got some really wierd results. like ghosts in the machine, it was odd and unpredictable. So I tested with the volt meter and would get different results depending which bulb was in which socket, till i tried it with both bulbs out and everything was good. voltage in all the right places. so I got two new bulbs and it's all good, working as it should.

fglaustin 10-03-2006 03:36 PM

could you (or someone) tell me what "silverstars" are ???
xexon (sp ?) bulbs ????????????

coronakid 10-04-2006 01:56 PM

I would not use those at all. They overamped my wiring and burned it up, so i had to get new wires pulled. I had a similar problem. No Low beams, but my high beams worked.
Sure enough my wiring was burned up.
I would go stock on your headlight bulbs, it may save you money in repairs.

skytanker2003 10-04-2006 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: fglaustin

could you (or someone) tell me what "silverstars" are ???
xexon (sp ?) bulbs ????????????

I think they're just brighter aftermarket bulbs people put in... "SilverStarĀ® - the brightest, whitest, 100% legal halogen headlights."

SilverStar Site

fglaustin 10-04-2006 03:38 PM

thanxs for the reply - and to corona also.

sillyredcivic 10-05-2006 09:42 AM

I've had the silverstars myslef and they were a decent cheap bulb. But now I have the PIAA Extreme white's, Let me tell you something...,.FANTASTIC!!!!! No prob with my wiring, awesome white color, brighter than anything else I've ever used, and 100% legal, the little sticker in the box says so if a cop ever asks!!!!

but they are extremely PRICEY!!!! other than that I love em!!!!