HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   HELP! Hood wont open. Latch might be broken! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/help-hood-wont-open-latch-might-broken-57853/)

Hoffmann21 12-27-2007 01:01 PM

HELP! Hood wont open. Latch might be broken!

After driving around for a while i came back home and i wanted to check on the engine to see if everything is good and stuff. I pull the latch for the hood and it doesnt POP!

My hood will not open up. How do i open it when its broken?

How much do you think it will cost? =[

Hoffmann21 12-27-2007 01:02 PM

RE: HELP! Hood wont open. Latch might be broken!

oh, its a 2002 Civic LX

danomatic93 12-27-2007 01:09 PM

get a pliers and pull on the hood release wire (the wire connected to the hood release pull tab). Sometimes the wire gets stretched out.

addiction2bass 12-27-2007 01:12 PM

well if the release still FEELS like it isnt busted then i would get a friend to pull the release and hold it to release while you kinda tap the hood right above the latch alittle.... just not to hard to dent it.... and if it does pop the hood up then get some good lubricant and spray down the latch realy good and work the latch with a screw driver closed and open over and over ruffly a dozen times...... spray it alittle more and then go on about your buisness ;)

ive had my 99civics hood latch stick open before, and ive had my old chevy truck latch stick shut, just spray the crap outta it. and hopefully it will free up and just be a sticking issue, which can be fixed with just lubing it some....

Hoffmann21 12-27-2007 01:12 PM

I can barely get my hand by the latch, so i dont know how to get a pillars in there. Is there a Wire hooked up the the pulling latch in the car?

Hoffmann21 12-27-2007 01:15 PM

How do i feel if its not busted. When i pull on the latch is it feels like the wire is tightening to its max.

Hoffmann21 12-27-2007 01:21 PM

When i pull on the latch to open up, it sounds like something is moving, trying to dislatch. You can hear it try to pop the hood. **** i think my latch is screwed.

danomatic93 12-27-2007 01:26 PM

where are you located? If you are in a cold place (freezing temps) then it might just be frozen, so you'll have to get your car into a heated place to let it thaw.

If not, is this the first time it hasn't opened or been hard to open?

mk378 12-27-2007 01:41 PM

Have someone press down on the hood while you pull the handle, this relieves stress on the latch. Then if the latch pops, keep holding the handle while they let go and the hood should open.

What you DON'T want to do is wail on the handle and break the cable...

Hoffmann21 12-27-2007 01:52 PM

^^hey i live in brookfield,wisconsin.

Um i think it helps that i do have a custom intake and in the middle it gets big and i think its pushing up on my hood which putting stress on my latch.. in the up coming days im putting my stock itake box on and have a small intake tube come out of that.