Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help me find my service manual for my Honda Civic please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 AM
HCF Member
Default Help me find my service manual for my Honda Civic please...

I have spent several months on this, reading all the manuals I have gotten. I have downloaded all the manuals I can find online, from 1989 all the way up to 2006 and I can not find a service manual for my car. My car is an Australian Honda Civic 1993 EG Sedan, Twin Carby, 1.5 litre, Manual with the engine number D15B42....

There is a lot of confusion as to what engine, carby and car I have!

Can someone please help me find my manual. I bought a second hand carby which sais EG4 on it.

Here are pics of the engine and carby I have.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:34 AM
HCF Member

Hmmmm...........I have a feeling the Civic down-under is called something else.....Time to research....

P.S: Man...what a maze @ the intake

Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The only time one of those is seen in the USA is when it happens to be attached to a used engine imported from Japan. The only thing we do with that abomination is remove it and bolt the car's original fuel injection system onto the engine instead.

So Honda used them on JDM cars. You might find one of those manuals, but the text would almost certainly be in Japanese.

And it's great to wake up to someone starting two more threads about the same problem he's had for months.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

wow.. I haven't seen that side carb on a Honda for a longtime, I've wrenched on those in the earlier Honda Prelude model, i think like 85-87 model, 2nd gen.

Reason you didn't find it because it a prelude intake on the D series, civic is FI since 88 and older civic didnt have that intake but only seen the one you have Honda Prelude.

So you want to search for the manual on older prelude model, I think that can help you what you looking for.

Last edited by droopy128; 10-07-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The only time one of those is seen in the USA is when it happens to be attached to a used engine imported from Japan. The only thing we do with that abomination is remove it and bolt the car's original fuel injection system onto the engine instead.

So Honda used them on JDM cars. You might find one of those manuals, but the text would almost certainly be in Japanese.

And it's great to wake up to someone starting two more threads about the same problem he's had for months.
mk378. If I was to bolt the cars original injection system, what would I need to get? Help me out here : )

What do I ask for at the wreckers and what parts would I need from the car parts shop. I have spent so much money on this with money I do not have...you're answers may sound like easy solutions but for someone who has little knowledge about cars in general, it's like you are speaking a foreign language.

I need some guidance on how to do this changeover if I was to use the carby I have now or your recommendation.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

It seems like it is alot of work to do the conversion from carby to fuel injected as written in the threads I have found online like Honda Civic EX 1990 D15b swap question - Hondahookup.com

I will stick to the carby I have. I have been unlucky finding the right prelude manual for my carby system. Anyone have links?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 PM
HCF Member
Default A good samaritan : )

Today, I am very happy!

Went to my local auto parts store with my carby and as I was paying for my carb cleaner and gasket, this mechanic enthusiast came up to me asking what car my carby came from. To cut this story short, I told him about my fuel mixture problem and he told me how to adjust it

Apparently, you open the two little lids on the carby and there will be a piston in there that helps adjust the fuel to air mixture ratio. You unscrew a screw that holds the piston to make it loose and you use a calipre for measurement and raise the piston for more fuel or lower it for less fuel. You have to match the two pistons height and try to be atleast no more than 1mm off or else it will run rough.

Very amazed at how some people off the street would help a stranger. I decided to look at my carby again when I got home and noticed where the auto choke was that raised and pushed the cam for idle. I decided to adjust the screw next to it which helped lower my idle down to 900rpm.

Hopefully this fixes my idle issue and as for the black smoke issue. I am thinking of maybe replacing the auto choke with the wreckers version or either adjusting the carburetor pistons as described above, but I am unsure as to how this would solve the black smoke issue since black smoke only occurs when the engine is not warm. So I am thinking if I adjust it lower, then maybe, once it is warm, it will run with not enough fuel in the mixture.

Any opinions out there??

Should I salvage some parts from the wrecker carby and install it on my car and if so, which do you think would help solve the black smoke on cold engine issue?

Note that, when the weather is very cold or raining and I start the car, the black smoke issue does not occur, even though the engine is not warm. The black smoke mostly occurs when the weather is fine and I start the car and the engine is not warm.

Last edited by honvic; 10-07-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Before tinkering inside, I'd check that the choke shaft is moving to full open. The choke shaft is the one nearest the air filter. It seems to be driven by that black vacuum thing with a sector gear on the left end (the passenger side since your car is right side driver).

Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Before tinkering inside, I'd check that the choke shaft is moving to full open. The choke shaft is the one nearest the air filter. It seems to be driven by that black vacuum thing with a sector gear on the left end (the passenger side since your car is right side driver).
Thanks mk378.

That shaft you mention does not move at all even on cold start. Refer to pic below. Looking at the concerto manual I have, which seems to be the same carby, it is what they call the choke opener.

When I pull the shaft up high enough, near the end stroke, it opens the little panel inside the two lids where the carby pistons are.

What do you think about this test - I will start the car in the morning and pull that shaft up and if the black smoke disappears then I may need to replace that??

Last edited by honvic; 10-09-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The "little panel" is the choke plate. That is car 101. When it is closed it blocks the air flow and causes an excess of fuel to get sucked into the engine for easier starting and initial running in cold weather. It is only fully closed while first trying to start the engine. As soon as it starts, a "pull off" device (possibly that black thing on the end) pulls it partway open. Then another mechanism moves it to wide open within a few minutes as the engine warms up. All carburetor cars work that way.

Last edited by mk378; 10-09-2011 at 03:19 PM.