Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help on my Honda (newb questions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:19 PM
APX
Default Help on my Honda (newb questions)

Well like I said on my introduction thread, I am new to hondas and everything about it. I was planning on fixing it up to be a sleeper, just a regular black paint job, mugen rims or something clean looking, a B16A2 engine, nos, and if i'm lucky, a turbo. Also a new bumper.

I have friends who told me how great hondas are (no, they are not ricers, they enjoy every type of car, and they own a S14 and SVX)

So here are my questions.

Any tips for a newbie like me?
Best place/Book to read about beginer level stuff (knowing about the engine/everything else)
Best site to look for new/used engines
Sites to find good prices on items/acessories.

So pretty much everything, I know a tad bit about cars, but not really how to take care of them, please, any help would be great, because I want to really get into cars and learn all about them and try my best to tune my first car into a beast.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help on my Honda (newb questions)

well first of all read all the stickies at the top of all the sections. They include LOTS of useful information that will answer most generic question. The Header, Intake and Exhaust FAQ's are awesome, so are all the stickies at hte top of the Nitrous, Turbo, S/C section. Oh, and NOS is just a brand that makes nitrous setups, so do you specifically want NOS, or just nitrous in general? haha Venom, ZEX, NOS, those are just a few that make nitrous kits. Read the Nitrous FAQ for further answers. Good idea with the keeping it clean. As for the swap, B16a2 is HIGHLY overrated, there are many other swaps that yield better numbers or are better bases for boost and the likes. Not to say it isn't a good engine, but for a similar price you could be getting more power. www.hmotorsonline.com is a good site for engines, www.procivic.com is an HCF sponsor and also a trusted webstie, so not only do you know you're getting quality products, you're supporting the forum too. Prices aren't too bad either; i've ordered from them before myself. And a general tip is steer clear of cheap generic eBay products. There are a few things you can get away with on the generic eBay stuff like strut bars, some wheels, intakes (make sure to get a nice K&N or AEM filter though, the eBay filters are complete crap), short shifters (although you risk breaking the ****, its a horrible thought but it's been known to happen), and lip kits. Just find a seller with 98%+ positive feedback. But even then, watch yourself, you're ALWAYS better off going with a name brand. Hope i helped

Old 02-15-2008, 04:36 AM
HCF Member

what kind of civic do you have now? i would start off with an intake. you can get nice intakes off ebay. then maybe and exhaust, or an intake or exhaust manifold. spark plugs and wires are pretty easy to do.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:09 AM
HCF Member

- Get a Factory Service Manual.
- Get a decent little basic toolset that has a lifetime warranty. If Sears is in your area, Craftsman is inexpensive, easy to exchange when broken, and sturdy enough for home use.
- Get a decent alarm.
- Kill any body rust.
- Read the stickies on these forums for info. Ask questions or search in the forums. The interwebs is full of info.
- I find good stuff on Ebay, and my gf finds good stuff on craigslist, but you have to be a discerning buyer. I got a really nice used stock hood, in a color that matches my car, for $25US. Also check out the vendors on this site, and look for a few in magazines. Google is also your friend.
- Get lightweight rims.
- Get slotted or plain rotors and ceramic pads at all corners. Drilled rotors really don't do much, and may actually hurt braking. Drums are a PITA, by comparison.
- Don't mess with intake or header until you put in whatever engine you want and add boost.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: knobber295

what kind of civic do you have now? i would start off with an intake. you can get nice intakes off ebay. then maybe and exhaust, or an intake or exhaust manifold. spark plugs and wires are pretty easy to do.
he's getting his first car, which will be a 1995 DX

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
APX

Yes, my car is a 1995 DX.

Thanks for the help guys, I thought I was gonna get attacked and called a retard or something.

Well, my friend (who worked for honda awhile) told me a B16 was a good engine for beginers, but if you have a suggestion that will give her more power but for around the same price (I don't want to spend alot on an engine, since I hear honda engines are really cheap, even for new ones) also, about the nos, another suggestion from a friend was Nitrus Expressway (or whatever it's called) said it gives a solid kit and perfomence.