HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Help Please (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/help-please-37131/)

birdmane 01-30-2007 10:51 PM

Help Please

I just bought a 91 civic hb today and the person i bought it from told me he thinks it needs a new clutch cable, but a mechanic told me it probly has somethin to do with the tranny but he has not looked at it. The problem is that when i press on the clutch it does not disengage if i start it in 1st it will start moving no matter how hard i press on the clutch. I need to get this car running for work by tommorow so please give me any information you might have for me thanks.

98civex 01-30-2007 10:59 PM

RE: Help Please

is there resistance when you press the pedal or does it just easily limp down?

birdmane 01-30-2007 11:03 PM

yes theres resistance i press it down and it springs back up i also had my girl press it down and it pulled the arm thing up on the tranny

Misha 01-30-2007 11:49 PM

Sounds like clutch cable needs adjustment. Any grinding when you shift?

birdmane 01-30-2007 11:59 PM

not really sure bout the grinding but how do you adjust the cable

Misha 01-31-2007 12:57 AM

Turn the nut at the clutch end of the cable

birdmane 01-31-2007 12:11 PM

I tried to turn it as much as possible and i keep trying to start it and push the clutch in then put it in 1st but its like theres a wall there and when i try to put it in reverse it just grinds

TheShimster91HB 01-31-2007 12:55 PM

Ihave the same car and the same problem. I found that part of the clutch pedal hadsnapped off where it connects to everything else. So when I push down the pedal it moves the stuff its conected to as well as the pedal itself, therefore not disengaging the clutch fully. This was the result of -48 C weather turning my car into an icecube making everything brittle and easily breakable. I hate winter.

birdmane 01-31-2007 01:05 PM

so where am i looking for that broken part? If you could show me with a pic or give memore detailed info that would be great thanks

birdmane 01-31-2007 02:33 PM

alright i just actually drove it for the first time around the block it seems like it needs a new clutch but heres whats going on i cant start it in nutural or i wont be able to put it in 1st , so i start it in 1st then i freestyle shift or whatever you call that when you put it in 2nd with out the clutch and in second it doesnt get any power so im thinking it needs a new clutch but that still doesnt erxplain why i cant disengage the clutch when i press the clutch pedal. maybe the pressure plate also needs to be replaced? im not sure let me know what you think.

Misha 01-31-2007 03:26 PM

There could easily be several problems. Try to deal with them one by one. Fix one and move on to the next, or else it is going to be a total mess without any resolution.We started with dragging clutch. I think I figured out the way to tell where to look for solution. With the engine off, try to fix the lever on the clutch housing in the fullydisengaged position somehow. Then start the engine and try to switch gears. If you still can't, the problem is fork or throwout bearing - read inside the clutch housing. If you can, the problem is outside the housing, most probably what TheShimster91HBsaid.