Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! Rain(water) in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 09:44 PM
HCF Member
Default Help! Rain(water) in cabin

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I have 1990 Hatch Back, got it last year for $500. One thing that bothering me now is water leak in cabin. First I noticed water in right hand back section of cabin. It was last year's hurricane season. After some investigation and removal of carpet I learnt the water was gettin in from front. I used RTV silicone to seal windshield and roof line grooves. Now the leak is less than before, but it still leaks. I checked RTV for condition and it looks fine. But there is water puddle in ,now, left foot area. I would like to know if other people has experienced what I am experiencing now. Any idea is appreciated.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Default RE: Help! Rain(water) in cabin

best thing I could suggest is to get under the car and check all areas that have a cable, wire or mechanical linkage going through it. But if it did get better after silicone. See about replacing all the rubber around windows and doors. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

Hi,
Thank you for your post. It rained last Saturday and there was water in driver's side left foot area. The water run along with cables for gas filler door and back hatch opener to back passenger area. There is possibility that the water is from radio antenna base. I will use silicone to seal it and see what happens. I am tight with money now than ever and replacing rubbers and door seals, though proper way to do, is not an option. So, off I go with silicone gun. Thank God it's not raining this morning.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:09 AM

the only other thing i can think of is that it could possibly be leak in your air conditioning hose

Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 AM
HCF Member

Hi,
Thank you for your post. The car is not equiped with air conditioning. Talk about hot, hot car! I'm in South Florida and it is Summer!! Anyways, I have not sealed that antenna base yet. Thank God it is sunny again.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:55 AM
HCF Member

Hi,
I applied silicone around the base of antenna a few days ago. Since then there wasn't rain in my area, so I washed the car today. I removed the carpet a while back, so if there was water I would see. After the wash, I saw there was water still. The water get collected in the corner where my left foot would be. I spent some time today to see where exactly the water is coming from. There is black plastic plug on the side wall of lower door opening. The plug is hidden under plastic kick panel so it was hard to find. I now know entry point to the cabin. This is different from how water got in on right side. I assume water run differenly if the entry point is differnt.
I know this subject is boring to most of you. I just wish the water issue to be solved so I would not mind keeping the car for a long time. The car clocked 150000miles today. It runs very well and I think it would go a lot more miles. I would like to prevent corrosion so the car would last.
There may be other people with old Civic who have water problem. They may benefit from my finding.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
HCF Member

Hi,
Since my last post, I applied more silicone in different place. This time, the silicone went to inside of windshield seal along with driver side A-piller. It rained for a long time this afternoon and water is present in diffrent place, now. It does not collected at left foot, but dripps down near fuse box. I now know for sure water is getting in to cabin thru bad seal around windshied. So off I go with even more silicone!

Maachan513

Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 AM

Check behind the front fender where the cowl and the firewall meet. There was a problem where the caulking would crack and dry up and water would leak in. There was a service bulletin on the problem from the mid 90's. They say they fixed the problem, but I had it in my 2000 Civic. Drove me and the dealer crazy.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 AM
HCF Member

Hi,
Thank you for your input. The car has not leaked water(rain) since last time I applied sillicone to windshield area. It is now time to buy a carpet. It was moldy and has been scrapped. The heat radiating from bare floor is getting to me. On top of that I think heater control valve in the engine compartment is not closing all the way.
Anyway, I now know one more place to look for when I have water leak problem.

Thank you

Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM

yeah before the winter my car did the exact same thing... after that, since then i havent gotten any rain in... wierd

Quick Reply: Help! Rain(water) in cabin