Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trying to determine if compressor clutch is bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 10:22 AM
Default Trying to determine if compressor clutch is bad

Car: 1997 honda civic ex, 4spd auto

So I was driving around with the A/C on, and suddenly the cold A/C became NOT cold. Fan still blowing, no check engine light - just no cold air. Check the fuses under the dash - all good. Checked the fuses under the hood and the 20a condenser fuse was blown. Swapped out the fuse, and as soon as the compressor engaged - blown fuse.

Soooo... I started t-shooting.

TEST #1: Condenser fan spins freely, so I removed the compressor clutch relay, turned the car on, and then hit the A/C button. The condenser fan turned on. I ran it for 2 minutes without issue.

TEST #2: I then, put the compressor clutch relay back, and removed the condenser fan relay. Turned the car on, and hit the A/C button. The compressor clutch kicked in, but almost immediately, it stopped. I turned off the car and checked the condenser fuse - blown.

RE-TEST of #1 and #2: I swapped out the two relays and retested - same behavior. Whenever the compressor clutch engages, the fuse blows.

After that, I did something "a little" unconventional. Instead of a 20a fuse, I used a 30a fuse and did test #1 again. The compressor clutch spun up and ran for about 10 seconds but then it started to kick off and back on - like it couldn't stay engaged. I quickly turned the car off. The 30a fuse was not blown.

My question: Is this proof of the compressor clutch going out, or is it something else?

*FYI, I cannot test the freon level (don't have the needed gauges), but there was cold air before the initial blowing of the fuse and with TEST #1.
*FYI, I tried to test the ohm level of the compressor - I got no reading. Not sure I did it correctly, and the red power connector attachment is extremely rusted.

Any feedback or trouble-shooting tidbits are welcome!

Last edited by CivicER; 11-27-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:10 PM

Wow, this forum sucks.