Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

how many 'gears' has the Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Default how many 'gears' has the Civic Hybrid

It sounds like a stupid question, because it has a CVT.

Wiki quote:
A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is a transmission that can change steplessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values.
But is it truly infinite or just a whole lot of effective gears ratios

In a discussion about my car (Civic hybrid) we stumbeld on this question.
I suspect that the computer system 'decides' what gears ratio is used and that it only has a limited number of options.

Does anyone know if the computer system 'decides' the gear ratio and how many there truly are.

on the same issue, what type of CVT is used?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Super Cereal Admin

It's infinite; there are no actual drive gears in your transmission. Instead, there are two pullies and a belt or chain (I'm not sure which Honda uses). The pullies change size, and as they do, the belt/chain rides higher or lower in each pulley, effectively changing the gear ratio. Technically, it does have a limited range of gear ratios, but between the highest and lowest ratio there's infinite settings.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 PM

in theory you are right.

But I know that the computer controlles a linair actuator that changes the size of the pullies and because computers are binairy there will be a limited number of bits used to control the actuator.

That limited number of polly sizes is the 'number of gears', but how many is that???

Last edited by liquid_ice; 08-10-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Super Cereal Admin

The easiest way to say it is "infinite". It's not technically correct given that there's a maximum and minimum size for each pulley meaning there's a maximum gear reduction and a maximum overdrive, but since there's no set points between maximum and minimum for the transmission to choose from, there's countless "gears". Finding an actual number just depends on how many significant figures you want to use and how much math you want to do.