HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   How to remove A/C belt 92-95 civic (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/how-remove-c-belt-92-95-civic-66250/)

burnindesirez02 06-04-2008 08:50 AM

How to remove A/C belt 92-95 civic

Does anyone have the instructions on how to do this? I can't find my H aynes manual because im in the middle of boxing things up to move on Monday. I am changing all three of the belts. A/C, PS, and Alt. Any diagrams would be helpful. Thanks

All I need now is how to remove the A/C compressor belt. DO you loosen the idler pully? and how do you loosen it? Thanks

mk378 06-04-2008 10:01 AM

RE: How to remove A/C belt 92-95 civic

Loosen the nut on the idler pulley. Turn the adjuster screw above the idler pulley counterclockwise several turns to lower the pulley and slacken the belt. To get the belt entirely out of the car and put a new one on, you have to unbolt the motor mount from the frame and slide the belt past it.

burnindesirez02 06-04-2008 10:12 AM

I have to loosen the nut on the face of the Idler Pulley?

mk378 06-04-2008 10:18 AM

Yes. With the nut loose the pulley can slide up and down. Loose only about one turn. Do not remove it fully because the pulley can come off and along with it a bunch of washers and parts will fall out. After setting the tension with the adjuster bolt, the nut is tightened to lock in the adjustment. You'll need a end wrench to turn the nut because there isn't room for a socket.

mundy5 06-04-2008 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: mk378

Loosen the nut on the idler pulley. Turn the adjuster screw above the idler pulley counterclockwise several turns to lower the pulley and slacken the belt. To get the belt entirely out of the car and put a new one on, you have to unbolt the motor mount from the frame and slide the belt past it.
You are going to need to support your engine b/4 doing the above procedure. looks like he is planning on taking it out and putting in a new one judging from his original post.

RonJ 06-04-2008 12:48 PM

I don't think you need a jack under the oil pan when just the A/C engine mount is removed because the upper mount should suffice -- please correct me if I am wrong.

mk378 06-04-2008 12:59 PM

I'm thinking that too, but I'll admit I haven't actually tried it. There's no way it will drop far with the upper mount still attached; but it may take some lifting to get the bolts back in. If you put a jack under the oil pan (instead of doing it the "as seen on TV" way with an engine hoist) be sure to put a big block of wood between the pan and the jack so the pan doesn't get dented.

RonJ 06-04-2008 01:11 PM

It was my impression that the A/C mount served more as a damper than a load bearer. With that said, it's pretty easy to put a jack under the oil pan just to be safe.

mundy5 06-04-2008 03:09 PM

both of you might very well be correct.&nbsp\\; but just to be safe, i'd recommend that you put a jack down there.

burnindesirez02 06-04-2008 05:00 PM

well i got done a while ago and just read your posts. The mount doesn't hold the engine. after i removed the mount it didnt go anywhere. I had to use a screwdriver to pry it away from the frame to get the belt off. Thanks for your help and concern. Those belts are b**ches when they are new. You have to totally loosen the pulleys all the way to get the to fit on, and after that they were still a tight squeeze. This was the first time changing my belts in the two years i had the car. The belts were working good but were cracked and i wasn't going to trust them driving from Indiana to NewYork.