HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   I need some advice on 1994 Honda civic ECU (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/i-need-some-advice-1994-honda-civic-ecu-99137/)

Myst8u 03-09-2019 02:31 PM

I need some advice on 1994 Honda civic ECU

I have been having some trouble with the autoshop I go to in searching for a used ECU to replace my old one in my 1994 Honda civic Coupe DX. Ever since the new starter and distributor was put in it has horrid time accelerating without sputtering and the engine sounds so loud that I've nicknamed it "The Podracer" (god forbid I almost come to a complete stop and then the light changes, also hills suck) and the shop I go to said it was because I needed a new ECU. The mechanics who work on the car do great work at good prices but the person manning the desk makes assumptions about information and does not always have the greatest customer service, unfortunately she is also the main one that puts everything down in the records and informs the other people on what needs fixing unless one of the mechanics picks up the phone in her absence.This is a small family run autoshop that has generally wonderful reviews. I was told by this person that she would look up a used ECU from a reputable dealer and get back to me. She called me days later asking if I had a DX, LX, or EX which I didn't even know was a thing until then (I am not very knowledgeable on these things) despite having that information already in their records.

The ECU they found apparently has an issue with my transmission and locks (I assume it's because the transaxle assembly was replaced a few years ago, she did not tell me whether that was why or not) thus she suggested that I just stick a screwdriver in the shift hole when I want to put it in drive and it's "super easy to do and isn't a big deal" if I wanted to use the ECU they found. I really do not want to do this. I then had another person there call me to confirm if I had an automatic or not, which I had already informed the front desk woman of days prior, so communication seems not to be the clearest there (I often have to call back myself because the desk woman forgets to call me when she says she will).I found out later that she also put my vin wrong despite past records that I have given them twice now, showing them that I have an EJ2 not an EG8. They put my old ECU in and are now looking for another one. I will be $350 in the hole for parts and labor (understandably, and so far as I know not a bad price anyway) without a properly working ECU if they can't find another one within the month apparently. I am skating by money-wise right now and am trying to avoid having to go to another autoshop should things tank the second time these people find me a part.

So my point is, I would like to look for an ECU myself to at the very least understand what part I need so that I can better understand this whole situation and maybe even just get the darn thing myself. The transmission should be the original but the transaxle assembly has been replaced with a 114k one from LKQ, and the engine is not the original engine, however I do not know the number. It's a 1994 Honda Civic DX 1.5L In-Line4 VIN EJ2. The distributor and starter were recently replaced last fall. My apologies for this wall of text, I'm new here and inexperienced with all this, any help or advice is very appreciated.