Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ignition timing, distributor maxed out

Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Default ignition timing, distributor maxed out

Okay im 99.9% sure I put the timing belt on the right way. All the marks on the cam and crank lined up. Spun the crank about 10 times and they still were lined up. I went to go adjust my ignition timing after that since I also replaced cap rotor plugs and wires. The distributor is maxed out and the marks are still a little to the right of the focal point I guess I'll call it. The most left mark of the three needs about a couple of mm's to reach the center of the 2 prongs. I have never adjusted ignition timing so this is new to me but please don't tell me I need an after market distributor. Car runs fine as it is by the way... What do you guys suggest I do?

Oh yea and I did jump the connector and did it with the car fully warmed up.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

From the DIY on this site you're supposed to jump the ECU and tap the dizzy (after loosening the three bolts) to adjust the marks on the pulley.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When you start the engine with the connector jumped, the CEL should stay lit constantly. If it does not come on, the connector isn't jumped properly. If it blinks out codes, resolve the codes before trying to adjust the timing.

If your timing light has a **** on it, set it to zero.

You should also confirm that the crank pulley is on properly. If the key is not in place, it will be in a random position. Set the crank to TDC by probing the piston in cylinder 1, and confirm the single mark lines up with the pointer. This would be a good time to triple-check the cam.

Last edited by mk378; 11-05-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:38 PM

Wow I feel dumb... I took everything apart again and looked at it since mk said something about a pointer. The last person to do the timing belt made marks of his own, using a punch. The pointer was under grease, and the line on the crank sprocket was rusty blending in with the whole sprocket. Wow... Turns out I was off by a tooth but the funny thing is that's how the car was set the whole time I was driving it. Now everything is all lined up, thanks guys.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 AM
HCF Member
Default timing

Don't feel dumb!
a) you shared a lesson learned that may help others in the same situation
b) you had the courtesy to write back and tell us that it is resolved and what the final fix was

There are many threads where the original poster just disappears and we don't know what the resolution was, or if it was ever resolved.

Thanks for sharing,

Ed
Dallas, Tx