HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Lifting the engine. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/lifting-engine-3558/)

XCM828 03-05-2005 04:24 PM

Lifting the engine.

OK, as most of you probably know by now, I'm a tad past due on changing my timing belt. I plan on doing it tomorrow, but I need to know how I should hold the engine up. You have to lift the engine a little to take the weight off of the upper left engine mount, so that you can remove it to get to the lower timing belt cover. My problem is that my jack stands are way to tall to sit underneath the engine, so my question is, can I just leave the jack under there holding it up? Keep in mind that I will not be working under the engine. Also, I want to know if it is safe to jack up the car in a spot very close to the specified jacking places, because it's not possible to jack it up and put the jack stand in the same spot. It just will not fit.

Super Mario 03-05-2005 09:30 PM

RE: Lifting the engine.

i had this problem when bleeding my brakes, you have to lift your car from the control arms, and then put the jacks on th jack mounts. as for lifting the motor, i have no clue. someone else is going to have to help you out there.

sacicons 03-06-2005 02:24 AM

i have been known to use a jack under the oil pan, and it works ok, but put a board between them so the jack doesnt dig into the oil pan.

sugerbear008 03-06-2005 10:03 AM

sacs method is the same method i use but please don't forget to use the peice of wood.

sacicons 03-06-2005 10:27 AM

yeah, youll bend the oil pan up in to the pickup and you could easily starve your engine of oil and BOOM! actually, it starts out as a very benign ticking, theh it gets louder and louder till your car starts stalling out at lights.[&:]

XCM828 03-06-2005 12:11 PM

So I can just leave the jack under there without putting it on jack stands?

sacicons 03-06-2005 12:16 PM

ummm, if i understand you correctly, then yes. but if you mean can you support the CAR by the jack that is under the engine, then no. resoundingly no.

XCM828 03-06-2005 06:03 PM

Haha yeah I wouldnt think of doing that. I'll already have the car lifted, I just need to have the engine lifted a little to take off the engine mount. Thanks for your input guys.

Kappa22 03-06-2005 10:40 PM

Sorry for the late post on this one, but a small floor jack and a chunk of 2 x 6 is all you need to support the engine.

XCM828 03-07-2005 10:07 PM

Ok cool. I'll just use a bottle jack so that the normal jack won't be sticking out and getting in the way. I'm changing the belt this weekend, so I'll make up a nice lil' DIY for you guys.