Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine diagnosis - Crank but no start

Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Default Engine diagnosis - Crank but no start

10 days ago, my engine started making a weird grinding noise from the belts area. Took it to a mechanic and he said it was the AC Compressor Clutch Pulley, but the timing belt and tensioner were fine. Car has 115k miles on it so its due for a timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc. change anyway. He was charging $700 so I said forget it and would do it myself after Ramadan.

A couple of days later and I noticed a burning smell every time I would shut off my engine after driving for a bit. It was a very strong smell. I didn't think too much of it. Well a few days ago I started the car and heard a loud squealing from the belt and the engine was really rough and idling really low. I shut it off, but tried a few more times to start the car after that. Same issue. So I left it alone, didn't start it and didn't drive it.

Yesterday, car is not starting. When cranking, it sounds weird as if its really struggling and underpowered. No battery issue and spark plugs didn't seem to be flooded (haven't checked to see if they spark or not).

I'm at a loss. I asked a local friend and he said the timing belt might have skipped a couple of teeth and bent a valve. I opened the head to inspect the timing belt through that little window and it looks okay (i.e. not snapped).

The bottom half of engine seems to be soaked in oil. I don't think it was like that before, but I can't be sure. Here are some pics. Any ideas?? Is the engine done? Its a 2000 Honda Civic Automatic LX. No check engine light.

Attached Thumbnails Engine diagnosis - Crank but no start-20150708_110408.jpg   Engine diagnosis - Crank but no start-20150708_110352.jpg   Engine diagnosis - Crank but no start-20150708_110458.jpg