Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

manual window replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Default manual window replacement

ive got a 98 dx hatch.

driverside window, is broken- you can slide the window up and down by grabbing the glass from the inside and outside and pushing down. Ive taken the door panel off to investigate and see what i can do about replacing the parts whenever i find a decent donor from a junkyard. basically the gear inside the door is stripped because the handle doesnt move when the window moves.

From what i see there are a number(cant remember off hand how many there were) of bolts(looked like 12mm) that i can take off. Now my question is do i have to remove the window also when i do this?

Is there a write up, for this procedure that i havent seen?

Any help would be great, since the car is very vulnerable to thieves this way.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to replace the window regulator. I suggest a new one rather than from a junkyard because on the driver's side, a used one may be about worn out too.

The regulator attaches to the bottom of the window with 2 bolts. You don't have to remove the window from the car but it will be completely loose so be careful not to let it drop and break.