Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Advancing the Timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Default Advancing the Timing

uhhh... i have a problem. I want to advance my timing, but theres one problem. I have an electronic ignition. How do I advance it?!?! My plan is to advance it to 18degrees and run premium like sacicons said. but how do I do that. It's a 16 valve 1.5L non dohc. The spark wires lead to a black box mounted next to the engine I know what a distributor looks like and I'm pretty sure thats not a regular distributor. I am comparing this to a 327 small block distributor, the round manual ones. HELP PLEASE. I want to do it before saturday night if I can.

Thanks alot, Josh

Old 11-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Advancing the Timing

im looking into doing this too...any explanaitons will be greatly appreciated...but, super mario...that is the distributor just so u know...but an explanation will be great..thanks in advance to anyone with help

Old 11-13-2004, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

do you have a timing light? thats the first question. if so, then hook it up and make sure its hooked to the #1 plug wire. then get under the dash (geez i hope this is the same on the 4th gen as it is on the 5th and 6th.) and there is a 2 wire connector, the same one you use to pull CEL codes. take a small piece of wire and jump the two sides together. this keeps the ecu from optimizing the timing while youre adjusting it. then start the car and point the timing light at the crank pulley. it should flash everytime it fires the #1 plug, you will see three marks in a group and one a little farther away. then there is a pointer on the timing belt cover that you line up with the mark furthest away from the single one. you move it by loosening the three bolts on the distributor (you dont have to loosen them much, like 1 full turn) then twisting it back and forth until the marks line up. it may sound a little confusing, but it makes sense when you do it. have fun, but make sure you have premium in the tank before you do this.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:59 AM

do you leave the wire that jumps the CEL in or do you hook it back up when your done?!
also just had aboher thought should the engine run hotter more/less. not too much, but some?

Thanks, Sacicons

Old 11-13-2004, 01:19 PM

yea thats how my dad explaind it to me...he has nver worked on a honda tho except since i have had mine so i just wanted to be sure it was the same as he was explaing it...i will get him to help me do it...thanks man......

Old 11-13-2004, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

take it out when your done. and mine never had any temp difference, though thats going off of the stock temp gauge that doesnt really move much, not an aftermarket one that is more sensitive, it might show a little difference, though nothing worth thinking about.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:46 PM

Sorry to keep bugging but, I can't find the cel (i asume this stands for check engine light)hookup. what does it look alike and where exactly can I find it. Thanks. Is it a yellow little square connector that isn't hooked up to anything, just held in place by a dummy boot. Thanks again.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:46 AM
HCF Member

in mine its blue. dont mess with the yellow one. im pretty sure that yellow ones are airbags, and if you mess with those, it is possible to accidentally deploy them. and an airbag comes out with enough force to break your neck if you are kinda under the dash or something. but its a small blue connector with two pins in it on the passenger side of the car, down by the kickpanel where the ecu is. its just above the panel.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Super Mario

Sorry to keep bugging but, I can't find the cel (i asume this stands for check engine light)hookup. what does it look alike and where exactly can I find it. Thanks. Is it a yellow little square connector that isn't hooked up to anything, just held in place by a dummy boot. Thanks again.

There should be a little light blue/white connector. Open up your passenger door, get on the floor face up and look for a blue connector with either 2 or three wires hooked to it. Mine has three because it's obd2b. pull it out and yours hsould have two connectors, i think.

I want to advance my timing too but I'm not going to turn the distributor to do it.

I think I might get some cam gears and do it that way... timing lights are a must for the DIYer.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

in mine its blue. dont mess with the yellow one. im pretty sure that yellow ones are airbags, and if you mess with those, it is possible to ally deploy them. and an airbag comes out with enough force to break your neck if you are kinda under the dash or something. but its a small blue connector with two pins in it on the passenger side of the car, down by the kickpanel where the ecu is. its just above the panel.
And to adjust the timing I just losen it up and "jiggle" the distibutor. Some how I don't think it will work... but i'll try it. Is there a certain way I need to jiggle it or it will do it on its own.
Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Advancing the Timing