Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New to Honda’s full rejuvenation help!

Old 04-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Default New to Honda’s full rejuvenation help!

hey everybody the names mike,

i just recently picked up a nice 2000 civic lx sedan for work because my 2nd gen ram only gets like 8mpg and needed to save some money.

i paid like 1k for the car and overall she rides decent.

theres some ticks and noises coming from the motor as well as a belt that jumped teeth yesterday, overall she just needs some good hard tlc. (Neither of the original 2 owners did much more than general maintenance, the extent of repairs they’ve done is change the belts which to me is probably how it got messed up to begin with cause it looks new but sounded like it was loose when I test drove it)

She also smells a bit like she’s burning oil.

i have Sunday morning to get everything done and have been searching around for part lists but haven’t been able to find anything, I get a discount at advanced auto parts and just need a breakdown of everything I should replace to get her running like new again.

so far I know engine and trans oil, air and oil filter, spark plugs and possibly wires, and transmission shift sensor thing. (Sometimes she hesitates to shift up, especially when on the freeway then coming to a stop then moving forward on an incline, she feels how a stick shift car would feel if you were trying to drive forward from a stop in second or third gear instead of first)

occasionally the motor clunks so i was so I was thinking maybe change motor and transmission mounts.

what I’m not too aware of are the suspension components, sensors, and the gaskets that I would need to replace while tearing everything apart.

also would it be in my best interest to change the return springs and head gasket while I’m working on it? What about valves or lifters or w.e is under that cover?

a bit of a performance increase would be great as well but not at all necessary. I just want her riding nice n smooth, will be doing coils and a bit of a drop soon as the 17inch rims look a little funny with her at full height.

Im looking at spending about 350-400 to get her back to perfect and with that like 30-40% discount I got I think I can get a lot done.

if someone could be so kind as to provide me a list, like

important: blah blah blah
kind of important: blah blah blah
not that important: blah blah blah
Not important, auxiliary: blah blah blah

id be eternally grateful and super appreciative.

Last edited by Michael Gonzalez; 04-21-2018 at 08:37 AM.