Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No parking Lights or Gauge lights with blown fuse(19)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
HCF Member
Default No parking Lights or Gauge lights with blown fuse(19)?

92 Civic LX with 210,000 miles

My parking lights, gauge lights, Temp control lights and Driver's plate light is out...I knew it was a fuse so I replaced fuse 19(since that fuse protects all those components).
The fuse blows every time I turn on the parking lights...this tells me there's a short somewhere.

So I pulled the gauges out(d/c all wires), unplug my rear and front parking lights...check nearby wires for burns or open wiring....found nothing. THEN turned on parking lights again...fuse blew again.

I'm trying to single out where the short is..but I'm just wasting time.

So what's my next step? Because I'm all out of ideas.
Should I start cutting electrical tape and all that protective plastic off the wiring to search even more into the wiring?

Please...any help with be a blessing...It's a blessing I didn't get pulled over yet.

Thank you in advance.

P.S: Been searching Google for issues like mine..with little to no info on how it was "solved" due to incomplete posts

Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you have an aftermarket radio? The circuit goes to the radio; improper radio installation would be the first thing to consider. Ordinarily the "illumination" wire is not used for most radios, so it needs to be taped up to prevent shorts.

Also the front corner lights are connected to that fuse, if there's any crash damage up there they could have frayed through behind the fenders.

I think in the stock harness it is a red wire with black stripe.

Last edited by mk378; 12-09-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Did you replaced the fuse and turn the parking lights on with all that disconnected? and then still blew the fuse?
or did you plug everything back in and turn them on.

Theres is quit a bit on the circuit, take a look in the power outlet, see if you kid put a penny in there or something.

The way I test for power short to ground, is take halogen headlight bulb and put some pigtails on it, fuse one of them of course. now you've turned the short into a circuit.
now you can start disconnecting stuff on the circuit, when the bulb goes out you found the part of the circuit with the short.

be carefull the bulbs run hot and will melt carpeting and plastic kick panels.
attached all the pdf's of the circuit involving fuse 19.

Sorry this will not let me upload a pdf, too big, and neither will photobucket.

Last edited by scrapdog2grand; 12-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by scrapdog2grand
Did you replaced the fuse and turn the parking lights on with all that disconnected? and then still blew the fuse?
or did you plug everything back in and turn them on.

Theres is quit a bit on the circuit, take a look in the power outlet, see if you kid put a penny in there or something.

The way I test for power short to ground, is take halogen headlight bulb and put some pigtails on it, fuse one of them of course. now you've turned the short into a circuit.
now you can start disconnecting stuff on the circuit, when the bulb goes out you found the part of the circuit with the short.

be carefull the bulbs run hot and will melt carpeting and plastic kick panels.
attached all the pdf's of the circuit involving fuse 19.

Sorry this will not let me upload a pdf, too big, and neither will photobucket.
For your first paragraph..I did both methods..fuse 19 blew time after after time while trying to troubleshoot.
I'm not sure what you mean by putting pigtails on a light bulb...you mean attach a couple wires onto the metal part of the lightbulb?
Hook me up with detailed instructions on how to do this if you can.

Thank You in advance.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Do you have an aftermarket radio? The circuit goes to the radio; improper radio installation would be the first thing to consider. Ordinarily the "illumination" wire is not used for most radios, so it needs to be taped up to prevent shorts.

Also the front corner lights are connected to that fuse, if there's any crash damage up there they could have frayed through behind the fenders.

I think in the stock harness it is a red wire with black stripe.
I did install a Sony radio about 18 months ago...I'll have to check it out..maybe a wire came loose with all the bumps over the months.
No crashes either..(as far as Carfax tells me).

BTW...I have no alarm system...in case anyone ask later.