Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No power in 2nd on, very bad smell (brakes?) and smoke from underneath/hood? please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 06:05 PM
HCF Member
Default No power in 2nd on, very bad smell (brakes?) and smoke from underneath/hood? please help!

Ok, here's what was done to my 96 HX w/ 220,000 miles on it at a Honda dealer today:

Got my timing belt service, w/ the new acc belts, water pump, etc...
Got them to put on a OEM remanufactured master cylinder I bought from Advance Auto.
Changed oil and filter.

The previous night I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor myself, took it out for a spin and it ran great - just the squeaks from the belt, so I did the above at the Honda dealer today.

I drove no more than 25 yards from the dealer when I shifted into 2nd gear, then the Honda was losing power (rpms dropping despite giving it gas). Same thing in 3rd - it almost died, so I shifted back down to 1st and limped back to the dealer, with smoke coming out from underneath the car. Pulled up, smells like burning brakes? But why no power then in 2nd and on?

There is oil in th car, there is brake fluid in the m/c. Could this be related to what they did today? I can't believe it - the Civic was running fine last night, so I take it in for some preventive maintenance and then this...It just seems to coincidental not to be related to what they did today.

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: No power in 2nd on, very bad smell (brakes?) and smoke from underneath/hood? please help!

what did the dealer say?

Old 05-03-2006, 09:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: No power in 2nd on, very bad smell (brakes?) and smoke from underneath/hood? please help!

I haven't heard from the dealer yet b/c I picked up my car after the mechanics had left, so I'll have to wait and see tomorrow what they say.

Here's my theory:

They installed a new master cylinder and didn't adjust the brakes appropriately. The pedal was VERY firm when I got into the car, and I actually stalled it out when I went to drive it out of the dealer, thinking I felt a little resistance.

Of course, my car feels sluggish compard to earlier that day so I give it some gas and if the brakes were sticking, this would've produced the smell and smoke. Of course, I tried to push it a little and I'm afraid I might have ruined my transmission in the process, b/c I had no idea what was going on - until the smoke and the smell and loss of power w/in 15 yards, but maybe that was too late.

Now I'm afraid they'll try to tell me its b/c they installed a part that I gave them and they can't gaurantee that part (the m/c) or anything problem that it causes - so I'm looking for some ammo here to come back at them tomorrow if they don't cooperate. Or maybe the timing isnt set correctly? Anything, this is just complete bs that my car was running fine until this place got ahold of it!

Thanks

Old 05-04-2006, 11:25 AM
gwl
HCF Member

Sound like a bad master cylinder, they should not have to adjust the brakes when doing so. Its seems that the master cylinders is not releasing any pressure when you take your foot off the pedal. Also, the smell may have came from your clutch, hopefully you did not burn it up. If your clutch is fairly new your probably alright.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

Yup, gwl, that is exactly what the dealer said was the problem. I'm just ticked b/c wouldn't you drive a car after you work on it to make sure everything is alright? It would have prevented all of this from happening. It was a rebuilt m/c from advance auto - I was going to put it on myself but was tight on time so I let the dealer do it since I had the money.

Besides possible clutch damage (which I don't think happened - it seemed to shift fine), anything else I should look for? I know I burnt my pads up - transmission fluid maybe? The only rebate the dealer is going to give me is the 27.10 for the missed test drive...

Old 05-04-2006, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

27.10 hardly seems enough to compensate for cutting down the life of your brake pads considerably.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:21 AM
gwl
HCF Member

If you want to be safe, just do a visual check on your brake pads and make sure their not glazed. I doubt that there is any more damage. Your probably fine.