HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   obd2a b18c type r in a obd2b civic (99) ecu problems (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/obd2a-b18c-type-r-obd2b-civic-99-ecu-problems-97620/)

dunphyjj 05-28-2015 09:56 PM

obd2a b18c type r in a obd2b civic (99) ecu problems

hey guys im really stumped here, i have a 99 civic dx with a jdm type r engine in it, with a p73 (1996 jdm type r) ecu. it runs really rich, vtec works only intermittently and only engages at 7000 rpm, limiter at 9000 rpm, p73 is jumped into the obd2b harness with a frog industries jumper harness.

also the p73 is in fact a virgin ecu and i have inspected it for any bad connections on the board. i attempted to hook into the ecu via obd2 port and my mvci-hds (modular vehical communication interface- honda data sheets) from work and it was unable to make a connection. i then flashed the ecu and i read code 11, which came out to be faulty ecu.

i have since bought a p72 ecu (1996 usdm gsr) to attempt to connect to the car and see any codes the engine would throw, it did infact throw 3 codes on the mvci, no signal-crank position sensor, no signal heater circuit (o2 sensor), and vtec system failure. after a test drive i notices that vtec would not work at all and the car would limit at 7000rpm, i have also notices that the b18c does not have a vtec pressure switch, from factory, and i cannot seem to locate the crank position sensor as it is not under the plastics behind the crankshaft pulley.

any help please and thanks, im beyond stumped, and i do not think that the p73 ecu is bad/fried, it shows no signs, i believe it is the body harness that is confusing the communication between the ecu and the engine, but im no where near certain, shot in the dark, thanks for the help.

dunphyjj 05-28-2015 10:02 PM

Also the car only has one o2 sensor, and is being run off the primary o2 pigtail, secondary 02 pigtail and just tucked behind the engine

James Murray 05-08-2019 01:59 PM

I need help

Originally Posted by dunphyjj (Post 794632)
hey guys im really stumped here, i have a 99 civic dx with a jdm type r engine in it, with a p73 (1996 jdm type r) ecu. it runs really rich, vtec works only intermittently and only engages at 7000 rpm, limiter at 9000 rpm, p73 is jumped into the obd2b harness with a frog industries jumper harness.

also the p73 is in fact a virgin ecu and i have inspected it for any bad connections on the board. i attempted to hook into the ecu via obd2 port and my mvci-hds (modular vehical communication interface- honda data sheets) from work and it was unable to make a connection. i then flashed the ecu and i read code 11, which came out to be faulty ecu.

i have since bought a p72 ecu (1996 usdm gsr) to attempt to connect to the car and see any codes the engine would throw, it did infact throw 3 codes on the mvci, no signal-crank position sensor, no signal heater circuit (o2 sensor), and vtec system failure. after a test drive i notices that vtec would not work at all and the car would limit at 7000rpm, i have also notices that the b18c does not have a vtec pressure switch, from factory, and i cannot seem to locate the crank position sensor as it is not under the plastics behind the crankshaft pulley.

any help please and thanks, im beyond stumped, and i do not think that the p73 ecu is bad/fried, it shows no signs, i believe it is the body harness that is confusing the communication between the ecu and the engine, but im no where near certain, shot in the dark, thanks for the help.

5-8-2019 hi I'm trying to do complete my motor swap. I have a 99 civic ex obd2b with a 98 b18c1 gsr obd2a and had it running but one day shut off. It cranks and sounds like it wants to fire but won't catch.