HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Oil Change~! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/oil-change%7E-79892/)

JayVee 12-15-2009 04:14 PM

Oil Change~!

Somebody wanna give me a better explanation on how to change the oil on my car. When i mean change it, i mean remove old oil and replace with new.

any tuts are welcome thanks.

Largen 12-15-2009 05:56 PM

What you need
1. Jack (the emergency factory one will work fine)
2. Jack stands (cheap well worth the money)
3. New oil filter
4. 4 liters of oil
5. i think its a 14 mm socket or wrench
6. something to catch the old oil (and properly dispose of it)
7. some cardboard to lie on

Ok, so run the engine for a bit, this way the oil is not as thick so it will drain faster, and more will come out as well. When you have run the engine for a bit, put the E-brake on, and put something behind the rear wheels to stop them from rolling. Get your jack, put it on the LIFT POINT on either the drivers, or passenger side, its right in front of the door, right behind the front wheel, its a plate pointing down, you will see it, put the jack there, and lift the car up on the one side do a decent height (you will need to go under the car) put one of your jack stands where your bottom A-Arm Pivots (on the inside, where it attaches to the car) Make sure its lined up, slowly release the jack until the Jack Stand is holding that side of the car, then repeat those steps on the passenger side, now put your cardboard down underneath the car, get your wrench (or socket/ratchet) and your Oil Catch bin, go under the car, look at the oil pan, you will see the drain, put your catch bin under it (remember the oil will not fall strait down right away so anticipate how far back it will go so you dont get any on the ground) then remove the drain plug, hold on to it! try not to loose it in the oil catch pan.

Let it drain for a while, until there is almost no oil coming out anymore, put the drain plug back in, now on the rear of the engine (so between the engine and the firewall) you are going to be able to look up and see your oil filter (should usually be white) take it off (SHOULD be hand tight) once you remove it, put the new one back on BUT! MAKE SURE THERE IS NO GASKET ON THE ENGINE BLOCK!!! check to see if the old oil filter has a gasket still on it (rubber ring) Also the old Oil Filter WILL have oil in it, dont spill it on yourself XD once you put the new Oil Filter on, just get it hand tight, then about a 1/4 turn to make sure its nice and snug, then pull everything from underneath the car, and pour about 4 liters of oil into your fill cap (on your Valve cover) then check your level (most oil containers in the 4 liter range have about 4.4 liters) with your dipstick BUT! give it about a good 30 seconds to a minute to make sure that all the oil is in the pan.

Now when your level is right below the second dot (or full line) on your dipstick, your going to lift the passenger side of the car again, so you can remove the jack stand, then lower it to the ground GENTLY! and do the same on the other side (Make sure you have not left anything under the car) then once your done that, get in, run the engine for about a minute, shut it off, take a look for any oil leaks under the car, and double check the level in the engine, if its a little low, top it up a bit, and your good to go!

Hope that helps,
Largen.

JayVee 12-15-2009 08:51 PM

Perfect explanation. Only question i have to add to that is while i'm removing all the oil do i keep the car running?
You never mentioned shutting it off.

EDIT:Nevermind, i just asked one of my buddies and he told me to shut it off before i drain.

sfazngiants 12-15-2009 10:20 PM

if the car is cold or hasn't been driven overnight, turn on your engine for a minute so that the oil drains smoothly. if your engine is hot, let it cool down first before you change the oil or it'll burn you. or else when you replace the oil turn the car off till after you pour in about 4 quarts of oil then turn you car back on to check the oil level

MaximusFunk 12-15-2009 10:26 PM

you should shut the car off, and let it cool a little bit before you change the filter , last time I did it I didnt wait and ended up burning myself on the hot downpipe durf.

JayVee 12-15-2009 10:33 PM

alright thanks guys, i'm driving tomorrow to pick up the necessities to do this at pep boys.
so when i get home i should just let the car sit for about 10-15mins? it's about a 10 minute drive there and back.

sfazngiants 12-15-2009 10:37 PM

i think that should be enough, just make sure the engine is cool.

JayVee 12-15-2009 10:38 PM

cool thanks sfazn.

Largen 12-15-2009 11:12 PM

ha ha ya my bad i did miss a couple points, definatly turn the engine off, and thats only if it were cold.

next time i wont miss anything XD

mk378 12-16-2009 05:09 AM

Ramps are really the best at home way to raise the car for an oil change, unless it has been lowered from stock height. Then the ramps won't fit underneath. The dipstick is not correct when the car is on ramps or otherwise not level. Do the entire oil change while the car is on ramps. Put in 3.5 quarts of oil and drive the car off the ramps, then stop the engine and double check the level. All the D series use slightly less than 4 quarts to refill.

Also at the parts store buy the cap type oil filter wrench that fits your filter. These are a big metal or plastic cap that fits exactly over the end of the filter and has a square hole in the center to turn it with a socket driver. It is rare to be able to unscrew the oil filter by hand, unless you were the one who put it on last. Never tighten them with a wrench.

Double check that the oil pan plug is back in before putting in new oil. Easy to forget, and if you did of course your new oil will just pour out on the ground.

Prime the new filter with new oil before you put it on. Simply set the filter with the open end up and pour oil into the big hole in the center. Let it soak in then pour in some more. This will keep the engine from starving for oil so much when you first start it.

Like the others said, never ever run the engine unless it is full of oil. Running without oil will cause severe damage in a time that is measured in seconds.