Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil In the Spark Plug Wells....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:05 PM
HCF Member
Default Oil In the Spark Plug Wells....

I got a 92 Civic LX(Auto) with 183,000 miles & have had my Civic for 4 months now(Proud Owner BABY ).
Today I was driving home from work & I noticed my acceleration was kinda lacking like something was holding it back like I was pulling a trailer or something. I didn't have anything in the back seat or in my trunk except my tool set.(which is only the size of a briefcase). There was no CEL at all.

So when I got home I went through the Haynes troubleshooting steps for "Stumbling Acceleration"..checked my fuses & fuel pump..they were good...Next was the spark plugs & wires.
When I pulled out my Spark Plug Wire there was alittle bit of oil on the tips but it wasn't soaking in oil...BUT when I pulled my spark plugs 3 out of 4 were soaked in oil(the bottom half anyway). I plan on getting new spark plugs, wires & plug seals tomorrow, but here's my question:

Now that I know there's oil in the spark plug wells..Do I need to get the oil out of there?
Or
Do I install just install the new spark plugs & let the oil burn off(if it does burn off)?

I'm not sure how much oil is down in the wells. I was gonna take a rag & just put it down in the wells to get as much of the oil out as I can, but I don't know if I should because little fabrics might get stuck down there.

Also, my civic has been "jerking" randomly when it comes to a stop(No CEL) & may have to do with the oil on my spark plugs..But what else should I look at for the jerking?
I've already replaced my Main Relay, Fuel Filter, Distributor, All my belts(Timing too), Flushed Coolant, and Transmission Fluid.

Thank you in advance!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Chubby Chaser

it wont hurt anything it will burn off, but make sure you change those spark plug tube seals and a new valve cover gasket.